• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Batch process and preserve the original folder/subfolder structure?

New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got Lightroom 6 after years of making do with other software.

I have a set of scans from 35mm transparancies that I want to do some basic batch processing on - but I can't quite see how to do what I want.

What I want to do is

- Point Lightroom at the (TIFF) files, which are all neatly arranged in folders and subfolders

- Have Lightroom perform a few presets such as crop (to remove black border from the scannning), some gentle sharpening and lighting changes

- Then put the processed files - obviously these are "processed copies" now in a different location on my hard drive, creating an exact copy of the folders/subfolders

- So I end up with what looks like two identical sets of folders/subfolders - except the files in the second set have been processed by Lightroom (and eg may now be jpg not TIFF)

I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing the Lightroom is designed for but

- Although I can see how to import multiple files and in so doing, apply presets

- And then to export multiple files

...how to I get Lightroom to duplicate the folder structure (rather than just end up with all the files in one folder)?

Many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing the Lightroom is designed for

I would say the opposite is true, Lightroom was not designed for this as there is no built in feature to do this.

However, you can use a plug-in written by Jeffrey Friedl to do this.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Folder Publisher” Lightroom Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that was quick - thankyou - I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WPA57  wrote

I have a set of scans from 35mm transparancies that I want to do some basic batch processing on - but I can't quite see how to do what I want.

What I want to do is

- Point Lightroom at the (TIFF) files, which are all neatly arranged in folders and subfolders

- Have Lightroom perform a few presets such as crop (to remove black border from the scannning), some gentle sharpening and lighting changes

- Then put the processed files - obviously these are "processed copies" now in a different location on my hard drive, creating an exact copy of the folders/subfolders

- So I end up with what looks like two identical sets of folders/subfolders - except the files in the second set have been processed by Lightroom (and eg may now be jpg not TIFF)

- Although I can see how to import multiple files and in so doing, apply presets

...how to I get Lightroom to duplicate the folder structure (rather than just end up with all the files in one folder)?

Many thanks!

You have to ask yourself whether this workflow makes any sense. Lightroom is a non-destructive editor. That means that any edits you do are not directly applied to the images, but are stored as a kind of 'to do list' in the catalog. Only when needed -for example because you want to make a print- Lightroom will apply the edits, and send the results to the printer.

So what would be the purpose of making a copy of all the edited images? You will only double the required disk space, and you don't really gain anything that you do not already have right now.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

WPA57   wrote

What I want to do is

Many thanks!

You have to ask yourself whether this workflow makes any sense. Lightroom is a non-destructive editor. That means that any edits you do are not directly applied to the images, but are stored as a kind of 'to do list' in the catalog. Only when needed -for example because you want to make a print- Lightroom will apply the edits, and send the results to the printer.

So what would be the purpose of making a copy of all the edited images? You will only double the required disk space, and you don't really gain anything that you do not already have right now.

OK - valid point.

Partly the reason is that I have all my (other) pictures stored on my hard drive as individual files.

That way, it's easy to back them up, and pull them off to my laptop if I want to take some somewhere or to copy some to Dropbox or similar.

If just in Lightroom then I can only see the final edited versions on one computer.

It just gives more flexibility to have the discreet files.

I guess the summary is - I can't think why I would want to have all my edited pictures only visible/useable in Lightroom.

But... I realise this is how the world does it so am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Visible, yes perhaps so. You can install Lightroom on two computers however, and for example use Dropbox to sync your catalog. Useable only in Lightroom, no. The whole idea of Lightroom is that whenever you need to use an image elsewhere, you export it in a size and format specificly for that purpose. So if you need an image for the web, you export it as a jpeg of perhaps 1200 x 800 pixels in sRGB color space. If that same image is used in a book or magazine, you export it as full size tiff in AdobeRGB. In all these cases you can delete the derivative image as soon as it has been used, because you can export it again any time.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

Visible, yes perhaps so. You can install Lightroom on two computers however, and for example use Dropbox to sync your catalog. Useable only in Lightroom, no. The whole idea of Lightroom is that whenever you need to use an image elsewhere, you export it in a size and format specificly for that purpose. So if you need an image for the web, you export it as a jpeg of perhaps 1200 x 800 pixels in sRGB color space. If that same image is used in a book or magazine, you export it as full size tiff in AdobeRGB. In all these cases you can delete the derivative image as soon as it has been used, because you can export it again any time.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Yes I see what you are saying...lots to think about here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this concept. In my opinion, there is nothing gained by creating multiple copies of images in different sizes and file formats. All that's needed is a good master set of edited images looking the way you want them to look and stored safely. Then it's possible to export copies in different file formats in different sizes for whatever purpose is needed when it's needed. But those copies don't need to be retained after they have been used. They just take up space and really aren't necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What everyone else here said. Lightroom makes it pretty easy to use one -and only one- real image file for almost any conceivable situation.  Any other copies = backups, to be tucked away in background storage not to be used except for restore.  By doing this you'll help "uncreates" confusion and unecessary workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines