1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2008 6:38 AM by Newsgroup_User

How do you handle a lot of text?

lgmcben
      Hi.

I'm thinking of using flex to create something like this:
      - A high school physics resources website.
      - A lesson text. (usually involve math symbols)
      - Users can browse exams/problems by choosing/filtering the topics they want.
      - If possible I'd let my students create their account so they can keep track of their study.

I refer to the "Text" control and found that it supports html tag as well, but...

Do I really have to embedded the lessons text and all the exams into the code? Are there a more appropriate way to do this? Or Flex should not be use to build this kind of stuff?

Yes, I can just use HTML for this site but I'd like to try Flex for fun and coolness.

Thank you in advance. :)
        • 1. Re: How do you handle a lot of text?
          Level 7

"lgmcben" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g7uo0m$bdq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi.
          >
          > I'm thinking of using flex to create something like this:
          > - A high school physics resources website.
          > - A lesson text. (usually involve math symbols)
          > - Users can browse exams/problems by choosing/filtering the topics they
          > want.
          > - If possible I'd let my students create their account so they can keep
          > track
          > of their study.
          >
          > I refer to the "Text" control and found that it supports html tag as well,
          > but...
          >
          > Do I really have to embedded the lessons text and all the exams into the
          > code?
          > Are there a more appropriate way to do this? Or Flex should not be use to
          > build this kind of stuff?
          >
          > Yes, I can just use HTML for this site but I'd like to try Flex for fun
          > and
          > coolness.

You're probably better off creating an engine that is driven off of XML that
          presents external content. I don't think Flex is a good choice for trying
          to do anything more than a quick prototype if it is _not_ data driven. You
          may also want to do a web search on Learning Management Systems.

HTH;

Amy