3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2018 10:20 AM by dj_paige

Corrupt Catalog

Thfc Mike

OK, so this is all going to sound a bit weird.

Earlier today, I noticed that when I launched Lr, instead of showing as Lightroom CC, it launched instead as Lr7 with an image of a lightning bolt on the launch screen, which I've never seen before!

Now, later in the day, I can't access my catalog as I keep getting the message that says it's corrupt and cannot be repaired. I am able to launch a back up file but this is nearly a week old so would prefer to get the original catalog repaired if possible.

Strangely though, when I now open Lr, it's gone back again to showing as Lr Clasic with the launch image of the girls with the sunglasses.

I'm confused - can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Corrupt Catalog
          dj_paige Level 10

Some people say that if you open a new (empty) catalog, and then try to import the "corrupted" catalog, sometimes that works. I am skeptical.

There really aren't any ways to repair a corrupted catalog. You need to use your backup. And you might want to run diagnostics on your hard disk to make sure that the hard disk is functioning properly (malfunctioning hard disks can cause catalog corruption).

• 2. Re: Corrupt Catalog
            danep75455100

This is ridiculous.  All the sudden I'm having the same problems as well. I create a backup of my catalog about once every week.  As of right now I can't access ANY of my backups until I randomly got a 4month old catalog to open. Obviously this is a HUGE problem with so many edited, marked up files. Completely makes ALL my work POINTLESS if a Library can't stay in tact.  I've got catalogs on both an NVME hard drive AND a backup 3.5" drive both have the same problem which means there is nothing hard disk related that you can try to blame.  This is a problem with your software and I keep seeing numerous forum posts with not a single good response. 

New Catalog with importing the corrupted catalog does NOTHING!

• 3. Re: Corrupt Catalog
              dj_paige Level 10

danep75455100  wrote

This is a problem with your software and I keep seeing numerous forum posts with not a single good response. 

This is a problem with your hard disk where the catalogs are stored. It is malfunctioning. That's why all of your backups can't be opened.