5 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2018 7:47 AM by Jao vdL

How to have a Collection in LR stay synced on Smugmug

johnl3280495

Can't figure out how to:

Have a collection (or folder) in LR mirrored onto Smugmug, then have that Collection or folder stay synced on Smugmug after deleting / adding photos inside of LR, without manual interaction.

I obviously have the Smugmug plugin etc...

I'm sure I'm missing something simple - thanks for any guidance.

• 1. Re: How to have a Collection in LR stay synced on Smugmug
          Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Well it seams obviously that someone using Lr and Smugmug needs to answer this question. Did you try asking Smugmug?

• 2. Re: How to have a Collection in LR stay synced on Smugmug
            Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you reviewed the Smugmug help page about their Lightroom plug-in?

SmugMug | Upload from Lightroom

johnl3280495  wrote

Have a collection (or folder) in LR mirrored onto Smugmug, then have that Collection or folder stay synced on Smugmug after deleting / adding photos inside of LR, without manual interaction.

You probably want to set up a Publish Service for Smugmug. That's the main purpose of the plug-in, to provide a direct connection to Smugmug galleries through Lightroom Publish Services.

To mirror, you can use the Smart Gallery option, and tell it to sync photos from a Lightroom collection you want to mirror.

About the "without manual interaction" part. As images are edited, they will appear marked for republishing, so the Smugmug gallery won't update until you click Publish. I'm not sure there's a way to have it republish automatically on edit. My guess is they don't do automatic updating because each Lightroom edit step would trigger another upload, which could really eat into CPU and bandwidth. Just remember to click Publish to update the gallery when you're done editing pictures there.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to have a Collection in LR stay synced on Smugmug
              johnl3280495 Level 1

Very helpful.

So I did set up a Smart Gallery as you suggest in the Smugmug publishing area, and created a LR gallery that satisfied the "Smart" criteria to be included in the smugmug Smart gallery, and it did add the photos to the smugmug smart gallery, after which I "Published now".

So far so good.

But I notice if I change anything - say I crop one of the original (local hard drive, in LR) images and go back to the Smugmug gallery (in LR) it shows the changed image under "re-publish" - so that seems good too (since it was changed), but when I click on re-publish, it uploads something but in Smugmug the image hasn't been cropped - still the original one.

I use Capture one for editing and raw conversion, so am not familiar with LR, but it seems pretty straightforward to crop, then I clicked "done". It shows cropped in the image viewer etc..., and showed the cropped version in the Smugmug "re-publish" pane.

Altered version just doesn't make it to Smugmug.

Thanks

• 4. Re: How to have a Collection in LR stay synced on Smugmug
                Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is odd. When I've used it, republishing does update what's in the Smugmug gallery. It shouldn't make any difference that it's a crop. If it looks correctly changed in the Publishing Manager it should update that way to Smugmug. I'm trying to think about how it might not work.

• 5. Re: How to have a Collection in LR stay synced on Smugmug
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is very strange. Republishing works perfectly (and has done so for years) for me. What happens if you control click or right click on the published image in Lightroom and select "show on smugmug"?