4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2009 3:50 AM by ChivertonT

FlexBuilder 3 - Profiling - Socket Timeout

barg27
      I'm working on a desktop AIR application and it's time to do some profiling. However, I cannot get the profiler to work and I feel like I've tried everything. I've seen evidence of others having this problem, but have yet to find a solution that works for me.

When I launch the application with the profiler, the application launches and works ok. But in the FlexBuilder console, I see a "Socket timeout." message repeat on occasion. I never see the extra popup window that's supposed to allow me to configure the profiling session.

I use Windows Vista and have no firewalls or anti-virus running. Here are things I tried:

• Uninstalling the Flash Player and FlexBuilder. This upgraded me from 3.0 to 3.0.1. No change.
      • Changing the port from 9999 to a few different port numbers.
      • Installing a fresh copy of FB3 on a Windows XP laptop I have. It shows the same messasge!
      • Thinking it may be something in my project, I created a new very simple project and still got the error.

So, no firewalls and a brand spankin' new installation of FlexBuilder (with the Flash player that comes with it) in two totally different environments. I'm running out of ideas to try, but the app really needs some profiling.

Can anyone give me some ideas?

• 1. Re: FlexBuilder 3 - Profiling - Socket Timeout
          barg27 Level 1
          Well this definitely gave me some trouble, but I have the solution. I'm actually surprised more people haven't run into this.

In my Windows environment, I changed my "home" from C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan (in Windows XP) and C:\Users\Ryan (in Vista) to my D:\ partition. The Flex Builder installer does a pretty decent job of using my new home when it performs the install. During the install, Flex Builder adds a FlexBuilder 3 folder in my Documents folder in addition to the regular application installation. This contains metadata and configuration settings for Flex Builder (including the Profiler's SWF file).

The problem is, when the profiler is kicked off, it uses the environment variable %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%. Even if you successfully change your Documents folder in Windows, the %HOMEDRIVE% is still set to C:. From research I've done, indications are, you don't want to change this environment variable (if you can figure out a way to do so).

So, I think FlexBuilder was looking in the C:\Users\Ryan\Documents for that FlexBuilder 3 folder. I copied that folder from D:\Users\Ryan\Documents to C:\Users\Ryan\Documents and the profiler started working.

Hopefully this will spare someone the hours it took me to figure it out.
          • 2. Re: FlexBuilder 3 - Profiling - Socket Timeout
            Level 7
            Adobe Newsbot hopes that the following resources help you:

Broadcast and media:
            In Flex Builder, you add the compatibility-version compiler option to the Additional ..... Applications are not compatible with signed framework RSLs.

Link: http://www.adobe.com/go/gntray_ind_broadcast_media

mikemo » What to do if Flex Builder says, “Installed Flash Player:
            If you have installed Flex Builder, and when try to debug you get an error message that says “Installed Flash Player is not a debugger,” or if the Flex

Link: http://www.morearty.com/blog/2006/06/30/what-to-do-if-flex-builder-says-installed-flash-pl ayer-is-not-a-debugger/

Flex 3:Feature Introductions:Flex 3 RSLs - Adobe Labs:
            The signed RSL may have been put into the Flash Player Cache by visiting ... To use RSLs in Flex Builder, modify the project properties by adding RSL

Link: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex_3:Feature_Introductions:Flex_3_RSLs

Flex developer, Campbell Anderson, from New Zealand - xsive blog:
            Mar 25, 2008 ... Right click the flash player instance in the browser… yep its the latest player ... Is anyone out there using RSLs yet? or the profiler?

Link: http://blog.xsive.co.nz/archives/269

Flex 3:Release Notes - Adobe Labs:
            3.4.1 Uninstalling Flex Builder 3.4.2 Uninstalling Flash Player ..... SDK-12685 There is an issue where the line number of an error is completely wrong,

Link: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex_3:Release_Notes

Disclaimer: This is an automated post from Adobe Newsbot. Newsbot tries to help forum users by analyzing their post and suggesting helpful links.
            • 3. Re: FlexBuilder 3 - Profiling - Socket Timeout
              chris3farrell
              Hi,
              I am having the same issue. I am trying to profile an AIR app, but do not get the dialog box. The app launches and then I get a socket timeout. I am running Flex Builder 3.0.2 (x86) on Vista. I think my home drive is C:\, I never changed it to anything else. And the profiler swf is in C:\Users\chris farrell\Documents\Flex Builder 3\.metadata\.plugins\com.adobe.flash.profiler\ProfilerAgent.swf. The app runs from C:\dev\clientName\projectName. Has anyone else had this problem?
              Thank you.
              • 4. Re: FlexBuilder 3 - Profiling - Socket Timeout
                ChivertonT Level 2
                Yes, snap, exactly the same issue but on WinXP.