Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chrome AutoPlay Causing Audio Issues

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

Late last week, we started getting reports of users launching Captivate 9.0 HTML5 SCORM objects from our DOCEBO LMS. They reported that the video began playing, but the audio was not playing. If they clicked the Pause button and then restarted the lesson, the audio was there. I tested numerous lessons that have been published and had no issues in the past. All these issues were in Chrome 66. The same lessons work and play fine in Firefox and IE.

I opened one of the affected lessons in Capt 9, and previewed it using the Preview HTML5 in Browser option, which opens an instance of Chrome, and the audio didn't play unless I paused and restarted the lesson.

Has anyone in the Captivate community experienced this issue with Chrome 66/HTML5? According to Chrome's website, they made the change to reduce the amount of annoying auto-play ads.

Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at this thread, at this moment no real solution:

Autoplay videos not showing up on slide revisit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I am seeing of this issue the solution is simply to make it necessary for the learner to explicitly click something on the first slide to initiate the playback.

The intention of the changes to these browsers (and that includes just about all modern browsers now) is to defeat those annoying ads on websites that automatically start up without users doing anything.

Our e-learning courses don't have ads, but the browsers are not distinguishing between an HTML5 website and an HTML5 e-learning course.  So, it may turn out that the quickest and simplest solution here is just to turn OFF Autoplay and get users accustomed to the fact that all e-learning from now on will wait for them to click that button on the first slide before starting to play anything. 

I think we may find that learners won't necessarily care that they have to do this.  It will just become second nature and we may be worrying about nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I can see you point, unfortunately I have many courses developed using Cp9, and these courses do not require the learner to click on the screen to begin the course.  So some of the courses require the learner to click on the program to begin, while others do not. Very confusing.  Yes, I could bring the old courses into the updated Cp2017 and re-publish the course, but this is a waste of my time.  Their should be a better method of resolving this issue, but I doubt the web developers at Google care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were those older courses published to SWF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing just started happening to me yesterday afternoon (Captivate 9) after I had been creating/previewing all morning! This is EXTREMELY frustrating, especially since I just created 10 online courses. Not a happy camper right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently went to the Chromium Developers website, and saw that the Chrome team was greatly criticized for making this decision. The Chrome team promised a fix, but said it would be available in Sept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UGH!!!!!  I am creating a whole series of online courses (14 in all) and am dreading what is about to happen! I only have 4 left and was finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't published the lessons yet, you can get around this by doing as Rod suggested above. Turn off AutoPlay in the Preferences/Project Start/Stop section, then insert a Start button on the first slide and assign the Continue function to it. I slapped this together as an example.

STart Button.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve! I have alerted our whole team so we can stay on top of this. Hoping the courses I have published in our LMS dont' run into the same issue.  Just checked and so far the audio is auto-playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Chrome has changed its autoplay settings…

Here is an article on how to change the settings in Chrome:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/06/how-to-control-audio-and-video-autoplay-in-google-chrome/

Here is an explanation of what is involved in the change to Chrome:

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/09/autoplay-policy-changes#webaudio

This only affected me when trying to preview locally (on my computer). According to the documentation, if your users are interacting with the site before coming to the lesson, the audio should play. A gotcha would be if you have a direct link to a lesson and users do not get to interact with the LMS before hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris!

So I am wondering, if I changed the settings on my computer prior to this, when I previewed, I never would have known that users would be running into this issue. I guess everything does happen for a reason!

I am also thinking, since we have SSO enabled on our LMS system, users shouldn't run into this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, stever72240430​! I already had a Get Started button on the first page of my module, so I just made the adjustments you suggested, and it worked!! Thanks for solving a frustrating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources