• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MTS Files import with wrong durations

Explorer ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm bringing in video shot on a Canon Vixia HF10. The files are each 11:20 long and are recognized as such when the properties are checked in Windows and when I open them in VLC or other players. However, when imported to Premiere's media browser they show up as being 47:33:15 each. This leads to a timeline claiming to be 6 hours long and various "disk full" errors when I try to export it. What can I do to force Premiere to recognize the correct length on these clips?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Wiping the prefs didn't do it. Thank you for confirming that the files are ok though - that's a relief!!!

That said, what I have discovered is that going to the Media Browser rather than just using the media bin shows me a shorter list of files. Premiere seems to be recognizing and grouping the clips that were shot in a stream without stopping. Perhaps that's where the miscalculation is going wrong - it's assigning the duration of the entire sequence to each of the clips it contains. I'm going to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy the entire contents of the SD card to your hard drive before importing into Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all of the visible files, yes.

I have the AVCHD, CVINFO, MY_MUSIC, and MY_PICT folders and their contents. The .MTS clips I imported are in the \\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM folder.

These were provided to me on an external drive and I copied the whole structure to my local machine. I tried importing the clips straight from the external drive too but the same issue occurs.

I'm wondering if I should try to transcode all of these to some other format first or something so that Premiere sees the correct lenghts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this issue where sometime in the past (even months ago) I imported footage with the same filenames. Somehow, Premiere associated old cache/render files with the new media, which resulted in the exact issue you are explaining: files show correct duration outside of Premiere, inside they are wrong.

I believe my solution was to delete my entire Media Cache folder. Note: I did NOT use the "clean up" button in the preferences, the entire folder needs to be deleted.

Mac: /Users//Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common

Windows: \Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common

Exit premiere, delete media cache folder, restart Premiere, open project. See if that resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, but that doesn't appear to have done the job. The lengths remain all wrong once it rebuilds the cache.

I tried importing another .MTS from the same external drive and that did the same thing. I pulled and old .MTS from my machine and that one did not exhibit the problem. So it seems like something specific to these files. I just don't know what.

I'm going to see if I can transcode one of these to MP4 with VLC, away from Adobe, and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a single file? The smallest that exhibits the issue would be ideal. We can at least see if the file does the same on my machine or if its a problem with your workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! This file is 00:04:29 but in Premiere it shows up as 38:29:15

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v6setva52Bnv4q7EUI82XipD59XLP1cL/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely an issue with your machine, not the files. Have you tried resetting the Premiere preferences holding Alt or Option launching Premiere?

file.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wiping the prefs didn't do it. Thank you for confirming that the files are ok though - that's a relief!!!

That said, what I have discovered is that going to the Media Browser rather than just using the media bin shows me a shorter list of files. Premiere seems to be recognizing and grouping the clips that were shot in a stream without stopping. Perhaps that's where the miscalculation is going wrong - it's assigning the duration of the entire sequence to each of the clips it contains. I'm going to toss the timeline and re-do from the Media Browser import and see if that does the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

False alarm. The Media Browser is simply not seeing all of the files in that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep. That turned out to be the key. The Media Browser is grouping the files, so it shows me two clips, but those contain all the others. I guess the way I imported them confused the program into applying the same length to all of the sub-clips when I should have just imported the two it showed me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines