• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFTER recent Windows 10 Update (1803) > Input Device Error/Undefined external error.

New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent Windows 10 Update (version 1803) clobbered my Adobe Audition.  I have what I believe are the identical settings for Audition on a Windows 10 version 1709 that works fine.  But with the latest version of Windows 10, when I try to record I get and Input Device Error dialogue box with the message "Undefined external error."

Any suggestions for how to solve this?  Has anybody else run into this problem? 

I'm running an old version of Audition 1.5 (build 4124.1).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What audio interface are you using with Audition 1.5? It seems you are not alone if you search for audio problems with the latest Win 10 update if you look on the internet.  Unfortunately it sounds as if Microsoft have dispensed with an earlier generation of working audio drivers. I think that other people are having trouble with audio in 1803 with all sorts of software I'm afraid.

I would check all the settings in Audition's Audio Hardware setup. Change them around a bit even if you go back to the original settings eventually. With any luck it kickstart Windows audio drivers to work again. otherwise you will have to try and find a way to re-install your previous audio drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same issue today after Windows 10 updated to v1803, and I'm running the same version of Audition as you. I found the solution here: UMIK-1 not working under Windows 10 64 bit with REW. | AV NIRVANA 

TL;DR: Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone, and try flipping the toggle under "Allow apps to access your microphone" to On.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it, its recording again!

I had the same issue after the win10 update. At first I thought it was the sound card. I updated the driver-nothing. I reinstalled Audition thinking it was a corrupt file-again nothing. There was an online post about sndvol32 being missing and was causing this- I checked and found that's not it. I also tried the suggestion about checking/unchecking the "allow control by apps" box, and that didn't work.

The fix: 1-The windows update caused registry entries to conflict. I ran a registry cleaner and defragmenter, and that fixed it.

2-Go to Privacy settings and allow microphone to be accessed. I do not use a mike that plugs into the sound card, but this setting also seems to control the line-in input next to it. ( I'm using the Reaktek HD audio soundcard)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEP! Simple as that! Settings>Privacy>Microphone> Allow apps to access and IT WORKED! Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This fixed it for us (clarinet/elec violin duo) also. We had refusal of Audio Imput from keyboard . . . never thought Mic Jack was actually also Audio Jack. Really, that's a better name for the double purpose. Thanks much; wife is at her keyboard at this momment  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Windows system just updated to 1803, and it quite hosed things up in Audition. My Focusrite Scarlett only showed up as an unrecognized device, and headphone playback was horribly overdriven.

To fix things, I had to go to Device Manager and completely remove the Focusrite device and drivers, unplug it, reboot, download and install the latest Focusrite USB drivers (4.36.5-612), reboot again, and then plug it back in. That finally got it working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir, all these months later, I had figured this out myself last year but after moving(after a house fire) I couldn't for the life of me get Cool Edit Pro to record! (Audition is Cool edit)
Thank you!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines