• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What exactly triggers a checkbox in the ToC (2017)?

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, as this may get a little long, but I am going to try to provide all the critical information to help the community provide a solution.

Problem in a nutshell: As per the title, I am trying to figure out what exactly triggers a checkbox for a section of content in the Captivate 2017 ToC.  This is because we have an issue with all the chapters being checked off after being viewed, but the course is not being recognized as having a 'Complete' status on the client's LMS. 

The Goal: We would like the user to be required to view all the slides before being allowed to take the exam (a separate file), which requires the course to be marked as Complete per the Completion Criteria..  The export details are below in the Background section. 

Worth Noting: If we do everything the same, except we switch the export option to 'User Access' rather than 'Slide Views and/or Quiz', the course is being recognized as having a 'Complete' status on the client's LMS and the exam unlocks and launches.

The key issue is the course not being recognized as 'Complete' when using the 'Slide View' requirement.  At the end of the day, this is a situation that comes down to 'who needs to fix the issue for the client', so I need to understand if we are potentially doing something incorrectly, or if there are additional things we need to look into.

My Theory: 1)  The check boxes in the ToC are NOT generated by having viewed every single slide in that section, and are therefore unreliable as an indicator that the user has viewed 100% of the slides (Seems to defeat the purpose, but it wouldn't be the first time a feature in a software has a bug).  This would result in a false positive at the end of the course (perhaps the user missed a slide or two), and it would not meet the 100% requirement of the Completion Criteria.  Reasoning: If we do nothing other than change the 'Completion Criteria' to 'User Access', then the course registers as complete to the LMS.  This seems to suggest the stricter 'View 100% of slides' criteria is not being met despite what the check boxes indicate. 

The simplest solution here may be to change the requirement from 100% to something more forgiving, like 85%.  However, I do not want to give yet another file to the LMS company to test without having a bit more solid information.

Background: We have created a course in Captivate 2017 and are using Captivate's ToC.  This course is being used on a client's outside LMS, so it is being exported as Scorm 2004 (4th edition) per the LMS company's specifications.  Since it is a course only (the exam is a separate file), we are using the following export options as specified by the the LMS company's specs:

Course Export.png

In Summary: Can I trust that, without question, when a checkbox appears in the ToC, that every slide has been viewed at 100% for the purposes of tracking the Completion Criteria of a course?  Or are there other factors we aren't considering?  Has anyone else had a similar problem with courses not registering as Complete?

Thank you for taking the time to review and reply!

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

The usual reason for this type of issue is that there's at least one slide somewhere in the published content that is not getting visited by the learner.  If you are setting completion to 100% of slides, all it takes is one slide not to be visited and you won't achieve completion.

I suggest you try uploading to SCORM Cloud and see if the same issue persists there.  If so, try Dave's suggestion to set the number of slides explicitly to a number rather than a percentage.  Then progressively lower t

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set completion to the number of Slides. I has always worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand this question. Why do you see a link between the visual indicators in the TOC and the SCORM settings for completion?

I remember when the TOC first appeared in Captivate, the check marks were aded only after the whole slide had been viewed. That was a problem, because on slides with a Next button the frames in the inactive apart of the button will never be visited. Hence the change: when a slide has been entered, the checkmark will appear. I don't know what you mean by 'sections'? Are you talking about the highest level that corresponds wit a group of slides?

Personally I hesitate to require a 100% of Slide views as criterium, but apparently that works for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both myself and the person we are working with at the LMS company are making the assumption that a check mark in the ToC indicates that 100% of the content there has been viewed.

Then, we are going further to make the assumption that if everything in the ToC has a check mark, that 100% of the content has been viewed and should trigger the Completion Criteria for 100% of the slides being viewed.

I recognize that these assumptions may be wrong and am looking to those more knowledgeable to weigh in and help me make a determination.

@lilybiri My feeling was the same as yours in that 100% requirement may be potentially problematic, but wanted additional opinions and experience on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So thinking about your response a bit more...

Do we know if the Completion Criteria for 100% slides viewed operates on the same trigger as the check boxes?

More specifically, if I understand you correctly, the ToC gives a checkbox and marks a slide as viewed when you enter it.  Will the tracking for the Completion Criteria also mark a slide as 100% viewed just by entering that slide?  Or is it designed to literally require 100% of the slide to be viewed?  In the latter case, it may not view 100% of some slides per your example "because on slides with a Next button the frames in the inactive apart of the button will never be visited."

I could see how this could result in a course ToC marking everything with a checkbox, but technically, not having viewed 100% of every slide for the purposes of the Completion Criteria.  What are your thoughts?  Does this sound right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not really see a link between the check marks and the way Slides completion is registered for Completion criteria. That is what I tried to explain. I cannot prove that the checkmarks do appear from the first frame of a slide, but I remember the change many versions ago. Whereas the criterium in the Reporting section are much stricter.

Do the users have to view 100% of each slide? If they jump the inactive part of a Next button, or the inactive part of quiz or a D&D slide that doesn't mean they miss anything. Forcing first view - which I hate as concept for adult learners since you can view without understanding - means they should view everything what is relevant on the slide, which is not all the frames or seconds.

There are ways to force a user to see the relevant content, like I show in this interactive movie (preparing some blog posts about the shared action I am using):

FirstView

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual reason for this type of issue is that there's at least one slide somewhere in the published content that is not getting visited by the learner.  If you are setting completion to 100% of slides, all it takes is one slide not to be visited and you won't achieve completion.

I suggest you try uploading to SCORM Cloud and see if the same issue persists there.  If so, try Dave's suggestion to set the number of slides explicitly to a number rather than a percentage.  Then progressively lower that number in testing to find out what it takes to get completion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everyone for your insights.  It was very helpful.  I agree the best course of action is to dial back the view requirement.  I appreciate everyone's time and experience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources