1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 2:04 AM by Newsgroup_User

Flex Accessibility Issues, Please Help if Possible!

Gnomann
      Hello all,

Have been pouring over the Flash/Flex Accessibility info on the web, much of it from Adobe, and some old posts from this very forum. Unfortunately, have found nothing that actually, concisely, helps my current situation...

Making a fairly simple Flex presentation that requires accessibility, specifically with Jaws. Am able to control what Jaws reads, and the order it reads in (after much effort), but have come to the problem of not being able to activate keyboard-initiated events when the focused is tabbed to them during a Jaws session. Jaws seems to be "trapping" the key events, so no key events are fired, and keyboard events are a necessity...

For instance, there is a button (mx.controls.Button instance) that sends the user to a Help screen. Outside of a Jaws session, Mouse clicking works, as does a keyboard event check which fires if that button has the focus whenever the ENTER key is hit. (Basically a global key handler that tests which button/component has the focus when the ENTER key is hit). But during a Jaws session, Jaws says "ENTER" when that key is hit, and nothing happens. It seems to devour that keys event, and so the Flex app does not receive/handle the event...

So what to do? I need keyboard events to control navigation, but Jaws is nullifying this...

The Flex Accessiblity write-up has the following:......
      --------------------------------

Ensuring keyboard access

It is important that all controls that can be manipulated via the mouse also be accessible via the keyboard. This is intended to support users with mobility impairments as well as screen reader users. The components included with Flex and Flash Player facilitate keyboard access by automatically making mouse-defined events accessible via the keyboard. Most Flex applications are accessible via the keyboard by default.

------------------------------------
      ....is there some "magical" way of insuring that a keypress will mimic a mouse-event? Later it mentions keyboard event listeners however, so my guess is no...

Any help would be utterly appreciated, as I am at about my wits end.

Thanks much in advance for any help/hint.