4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2018 7:40 AM by prhmusic2

Pasting From Word into RoboHelp - Bad Formatting

pault4511844

Hi,

Currently have a process whereby our webhelp authors create content in MS Word 2016. This is then pasted into RoboHelp 2017. This results in formatting problems within RoboHelp which take a lot of time to fix. Is there a simple way to fix this by applying styles from our style sheet including existing 'table styles'.

There is a post on Peter Grainge's website in the area of 'Content Creation' which highlights this challenge (HERE). I'd like to understand more on how this can be achieved. Has anyone met similar challenges or aware of a historical post on this?

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Pasting From Word into RoboHelp - Bad Formatting
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The link you have posted is to the RoboHelp for Word section. That was a separate program that used Word as the editor. It was discontinued several versions of RoboHelp back.

You can either paste into RoboHelp or import the documents. The latter is described on my site. See Importing and Linking Word Documents

If you want to paste in, the quickest way to clean the code is select all (CTRL A) in Design View and then click the Clear Formatting icon.

rh_clear_formatting.png

You will then need to work through the text to apply the styles from your CSS.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Pasting From Word into RoboHelp - Bad Formatting
            pault4511844 Level 1

Thanks Peter,

This is where the problem & the inefficiencies lie.

In my view MS Word is not a suitable for this process due to the formatting rework required 'post' import/paste but currently it seems to be the only option available to me outside of purchasing robohelp licenses for my 100+ authors. This is not an economically viable option & also would not be a desirable process solution for other specific reasons.

I would be surprised if this was not a common problem out there. My EMEA colleagues actually had to move off RoboHelp to get around this. Rightly or wrongly, it factored in their strategic decision.

• 3. Re: Pasting From Word into RoboHelp - Bad Formatting
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Am I right in thinking that others work in Word and then you paste in?

What did the EMEA people use instead?

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

• 4. Re: Pasting From Word into RoboHelp - Bad Formatting
                prhmusic2 Level 2

Hi pault4511844,

I have a similar situation to you where teams use Word to author disaster recovery documentation so I have direct experience with what you may be seeing. I link to those Word docs, which are stored in a network folder. I don't know whether you tried to use the 'linking to Word' functionality for this, but based upon what you wrote above, I would at least explore it. Peter's site has a lot of good information that can be used as a springboard to getting started with it.