5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 9:38 AM by Newsgroup_User

Internet browser view issues

tel.tale2009
      Hi,

brand new to Dw and have spent the last two days on a self learning crash course in Dw and trying develop my own basic website. Thought I had done a pretty good job considering....but when I view a couple of my web pages in the browser, the text that was placed centrally to the page in Dw is totally off centre in the browser, and I am not sure how to correct it? Any thoughts?

please view the profile and contact pages to see examples of the problem. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Internet browser view issues
          Level 7
          > brand new to Dw and have spent the last two days on a self learning crash
          > course in Dw and trying develop my own basic website.

Can you spend two more days on a crash HTML and CSS learning spree? It'll
          be so much more effective to learn the technology rather than the tool, you
          know? Then read about search engine optimization to find out what a poor
          decision it is to have a 'content-less' splash page. While you are at it,
          also read about how to optimize graphics for the web. A 500K image is
          inapporpriate on any site, really.

On your entry landing page, I see this -

<style type="text/css">
          <!--
          body {
          background-color: #000;
          }
          -->
          </style></head>

body {
          background-color: #000;
          }
          -->
          </style>
          <link href="teltale_photography.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
          </head>

<body>

Please note that a valid HTML page only contains at most a single instance
          of properly closed <html>, <head>, and <body> tags.

On your profile page, I see this -

<body>
          <div id="apDiv3">
          <p class="profile_text">UK citizen, 44 years young, &amp; married for 19
          years with two beautiful daughters. Lucky enough to live in Thailand while
          on working assignment. An avid amatuer photographer, I have just recently
          started to get into digital photography, and have to admit, I am hooked!....
          Purchased a Nikon D3 in the Summer of 2008 along with some very nice glass,
          and continually learning my hobby. Also very keen on the post processing
          side, spending many hours learning APS CS4 and other CS4 products, LR, and
          more recently Dreaweaver, which is how I designed and loaded this web-site
          in the last 3 days. Not a bad achievement for a complete novice. Basic,
          simple as the website is, I will be looking to enhance it as I get more
          familiar with DW and other software programs. For the moment, this is
          designed to get some of my work out there. I would welcome any comments,
          critique, and suggestions on my blog or via email.</p>

Note that absolute positioning is absolute. Even though you may think it's
          centered on your DW screen, this content will always be located at this
          position -

left:529px;
          top:130px;

which you can verify by maximizing your browser viewport and watching the
          page content move under the absolutely positioned text. Please also note
          the complete mess that results when you resize your text one tick in
          Firefox - these are the penalties you pay for using absolute positioning for
          your text content and as a primary layout method. You can read about a
          better approach here -

http://apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php

Then re-read the articles on search engine optimization - find out how
          important content and page titles are....

http://www.seomoz.org/articles/search-ranking-factors.php

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"tel.tale2009" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gjpq10$1vb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > brand new to Dw and have spent the last two days on a self learning crash
          > course in Dw and trying develop my own basic website. Thought I had done a
          > pretty good job considering....but when I view a couple of my web pages in
          > the
          > browser, the text that was placed centrally to the page in Dw is totally
          > off
          > centre in the browser, and I am not sure how to correct it? Any thoughts?
          >
          > website: www.teltalephotography.com
          >
          > please view the profile and contact pages to see examples of the problem.
          > Thanks.
          >

• 2. Re: Internet browser view issues
            tel.tale2009 Level 1
            thanks Murray......

your advice is short and to the point, which is what I need, based on my lack of Dw and website design layout experience.

I recognise that the site is very basic and not at all of the standard/quality of more seasoned users and of course the pros. The real intention here was to at least get something out there, so I can upload info/data for viewing and then start to learn this in more detail with the intention of designing something better and to the right rules, etc.

I will read your recommended links and continue learning and hopefully build a better site...thanks again.
            • 3. Re: Internet browser view issues
              Level 7
              You're very welcome. It's a pleasure to help someone with an attitude such
              as yours.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

"tel.tale2009" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gjqh9r$2dl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > thanks Murray......
              >
              > your advice is short and to the point, which is what I need, based on my
              > lack
              > of Dw and website design layout experience.
              >
              > I recognise that the site is very basic and not at all of the
              > standard/quality
              > of more seasoned users and of course the pros. The real intention here was
              > to
              > at least get something out there, so I can upload info/data for viewing
              > and
              > then start to learn this in more detail with the intention of designing
              > something better and to the right rules, etc.
              >
              > I will read your recommended links and continue learning and hopefully
              > build a
              > better site...thanks again.
              >

• 4. Re: Internet browser view issues
                Level 7
                Murray *ACE* wrote:
                > You're very welcome. It's a pleasure to help someone with an attitude
                > such as yours.

I wish everyone was as polite and well natured!

Dooza
                • 5. Re: Internet browser view issues
                  Level 7
                  <nods>

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
                  news:gjtgdp$3fk$2@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                  >> You're very welcome. It's a pleasure to help someone with an attitude
                  >> such as yours.
                  >
                  > I wish everyone was as polite and well natured!
                  >
                  > Dooza