• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New User - Upgrading from Aperture - willing to forgo all aperture meta data

New Here ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not used Lightroom before - I am using the Adobe Lightroom CC desktop CC 1.3_latest version. MAC OS - latest non beta version 10.13.4

Assuming I have never used this product, have the images stored on an external HD - where do I begin?  These are my constraints and thoughts:

1) I have to upgrade to Lightroom from Aperture

2) I have a large number of RAW images > 10,000

3) The Aperture library file could not handle all of my images - requiring me to create multiple library files by year for multiple years.

4) I would prefer to have 1 Catalog file for all images.

4.1) Can Lightroom handle 10,000 - 50,000 or more images in a single catalog file - what are its limits?

5) I would assume the catalog file will be quite large - should I store it externally or locally on the computer?  Knowing remote storage  of this file will limit remote access.  What can I expect in terms of file size and probability of corruption with increased size of catalog file.

6) When traveling I will need to import images into a local catalog and store the images locally. Upon returning to my office I will need to:

a) move the RAW original images to the RAID - how is this done?

b) merge the temporary Catalog file with the master catalog file - how is this done?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As you may/may not know, there are now two types of Lightroom.

Lightroom Classic, the traditional folder based Lightroom where your photos are stored on your own hardware.

Lightroom CC, the new Cloud Based where your photos are stored in the Cloud (they can also be stored locally, although you cannot determine the folder structure as it’s managed by the application).

Judging by your workflow, do you intend to use Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your note.  It appears I have both installed images of the desktop applications installed below.  Considering what I am doing, and the fact that I have no interest in storing the images online with Adobe - but the catalog file I would not have a problem with, the images should be stored locally on the RAID, what should I do?:

Thank you,

Jay

{Private Information removed by Moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your demands are small!  The sky's the limit. I've read of 500k, even a million images or more. Regular backups are obviously key. Drive should be fast, but I don't think it has to be lightning for smooth operation. Easy enough to dupe the catalog and compare. Here's a page on general optimization: Optimize Lightroom performance   

From ACP'er DdeGannes January this year:

My stats are as follows.

Files in my Catalog (mainly 99% raw files) 31,951.

Total file size of imported files 369.5 GB

Catalog.lrcat file size 569 MB

Catalog.lrcat.previews file size 44.7 GB (not many 1:1 previews)

Smart Previews. Zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines