• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tethering using usb2 cable in usb3 port

New Here ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a tethering problem that is driving me nuts and I'm pretty sure, from the tests I've been able to carry out that it is a problem in LR.

I have a desktop PC and a laptop, both running the same version of Windows 10 and the same version of Lightroom Classic CC. In both cases the software is up to date.

I have 2 cameras, a 5D Mk3 and a 1DX. Both of these use USB2 cables.

I have 3 different cables, 2 supplied with the camera and a 5m long version.

My desktop PC has both USB 2 and USB 3 ports. Tethered capture works fine no matter which camera, cable or usb port combination I use. So I know there are no issues there.

If I plug the camera in to the desktop and the laptop, it recognises the camera and I can access any memory card that is inserted in the camera.

My laptop only has usb3 ports.

If I try to start tethered capture on the laptop, it does not detect the camera.

So, I installed the EOS Utility from the CD that came with the cameras and it tethers correctly. This led to to try and copy the 2 DLLs (EDSDK.dll & EdsImage.dll) from the EOS utility installation to the Lightroom tether_canon.lrplugin folder. However, this did not solve the problem either.

I am therefore led to the conclusion that the problem must exist in Lightroom.

So, 3 questions:

Does anyone else have this problem or is there a solution available?

Do the LR development team watch these forums?

Is there somewhere else I should report this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums here are user-to-user forums. We don't see a lot of Adobe employees here. Some, yes. Many, no.

To report actual bugs, use this forum:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, given that this is the place that the Support page directs you towards.

So now I have have to create yet another account, which is completely separated from my AdobeID in order to post a bug?

That doesn't seem right to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonhill410  schrieb

So now I have have to create yet another account, which is completely separated from my AdobeID in order to post a bug?

No. You can use your AdobeID to log into the Photoshop Family Customer Community

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that wasn't especially obvious. It calls it something other than AdobeID which is confusing.

It has signed me in, so I will raise an issue there and see if I get any other response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonhill410  wrote

Interesting, given that this is the place that the Support page directs you towards.

It directs you here for technical support ... we try our best to answer questions about how to do things in Lightroom. It does not direct you here for reporting bugs. No one here can fix bugs (as we are not Adobe employees), and in fact bugs reported here are likely going to be ignored by Adobe developers because they won't see them. The best place to report bugs, where Adobe developers will actually see the bug reports, is the link given above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've mentioned that you have a memory card installed in the camera, correct?

Notes on Canon cameras

* For the 60D, 5D Mark III, and 1D X, a card must be in the camera for tethering to work properly.

Follow the step-by-step troubleshooting suggestion at the below link. One of them should resolve the issue. You need LR 6.6 or higher for the EOS 1DX MKII, which should also work with the 5D MKIII.

Fix tethered shooting in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5dmk3 and a 1Dx (not the Mk2), tried both with and without memory cards, same result each time and I'm running Lightroom Classic CC, also as mentioned in my OP.

Found that post on an earlier search and tried all of those steps, and several others mentioned in other posts, without success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonhill410  wrote

Found that post on an earlier search and tried all of those steps, and several others mentioned in other posts, without success.

1) At a post on the Photoshop Family forum it was mentioned that inserting only a CF Card into the camera and NOT an SD card solved the issue. Yes, I agree you shouldn't have to do that, but give it a try.

2) Did you try resetting your LR Classic .agprefs Preferences file: Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs as outlined below? That was also mentioned as solving the issue at a post in this forum Re: Tether problem with Canon 5D mark III and Lightroom CC

8. Reset Lightroom preferences.

Close Lightroom and delete your Lightroom preferences file. Then restart Lightroom, connect the camera, turn it on, and retry tethered shooting.

1. Navigate to one of the following locations, depending on your operating system:
  • Windows: Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\
  • macOS: /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SD card one was interesting as I'd not seen that, although the 1DX only has CF anyway.

Tried as suggested, no different.

I had deleted the preferences file previously and it made no difference and just tried again to be sure I hadn't messed up that noe. Again, no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, next logical step is to uninstall LR using the Creative Cloud utility, reboot windows, and reinstall LR CLassic 7.3.1. Make sure to first remove the two EOS Utility DLLs before doing anything and don't copy them over after reinstall. Then try the steps at the trouble shooting link again. I can't find any recent reports of tethering issue for either of your EOS cameras. If the reinstall doesn't help then it's probably something unique to your laptop like the USB3 driver, which you could try updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to avoid that step but I think it is inevitable that I have to try it.

The usb driver is the generic windows one and is up to date.

This is the same driver that is used by Canon'e EOS Utility which works for tethering.

Whatever the problem is, it is in Lightroom.

I'm also going to download a free trial of another workflow/tethering tool, such as Capture One to see if that works too. That would then definitely tie the problem to LR, but I'll try the uninstall/re-install route first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good points! Go ahead and try the uninstall/reinstall since that's the first thing Adobe Support will suggest. It shouldn't cause any issues with your current catalog file(s). If that doesn't work post the issue as suggested on the Photoshop Family forum with full-details of everything you've tried. Adobe Engineering does monitor those posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!

I think I have also got to the bottom of the problem.

After uninstalling LR Classic CC, the Creative Cloud App was then prompting me to Update another, older, version of LR. Seems that when updating from the older version of LR CC to LR Classic CC, it maybe didn't do it cleanly and tidy up the previous version.

So, having removed both versions of LR and then re-installed just LR Classic CC, all now appears to be working correctly.

Thanks for you help on this, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help and happy to hear that resolved the issue. Interestingly Adobe's suggestions at the below link don't include LR uninstall/reinstall as one of the trouble shooting steps. When unexplained things happen resetting the LR Preferences and uninstall/reinstall should be the first things to try. Anyhow persistence pays off!

Re: Tether problem with Canon 5D mark III and Lightroom CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines