• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can ID CC 13 for Mac ignore a forced return in a cross-reference?

Participant ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a heading that looks like

Chapter 6: This is a long heading[Return]with a long line

and a cross-reference to it includes the forced return. I could have put a bunch of non-breaking spaces in the text, but then it looks funny in the TOC. Also, the Return in that particular spot looks really nice in the visual sense. Any way to have the cross-reference ignore it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously you're using styles which is good. The way I address this would be to apply a right indent to the Chapter 6: paragraph text to force the text to break where you want it to and leave it as a manual override to the style. This way when the TOC grabs the content, it won't pull in the soft return. Other options that could work would be to use "Balance Ragged Lines" on the paragraph and even "no break". This will give you the result that you're looking for in each chapter but then the TOC will work correctly as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Not really convinced!

Personally [as already written it here], to keep a true control of the "cut(s)", I use a grep style!

So, no interference on TOC or current header.

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but how would that help? I mean, GREPs tell a paragraph style to apply a character style to something -- ~S in this case -- but there is no character option that says "ignore a Shift-Return". But in any case, if the GREP worked, since this kind of cross-reference could return pretty much anywhere, I'd have to stick the GREP in a bunch of styles. Not big a deal to do once, but still. . . .

A smaller right margin works, but since it's my personal mantra to have all styles exactly in all files, there goes syncing.

For now I have enchanted this just once in 170 pages, so I simply have a note to myself to go back and take out that one return before making a PDF.  Sure wish InDesign had an option to ignore returns in a cross-reference, like they do in TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, there's a way to ignore a soft-return! … just don't use it!

Best,

Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tim:

Sure wish InDesign had an option to ignore returns in a cross-reference, like they do in TOC.

You can log this in as a feature request here: Adobe InDesign Feedback. After it is approved, come back here and post the link so that others with the same concern and link over and vote it up. In the meantime, I agree with Chad's right

indent override idea unless Michel comes back with specifics for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I address this would be to apply a right indent to the Chapter 6: paragraph text to force the text to break where you want it to and leave it as a manual override to the style.

When faced with this problem I've used Chad's suggestion to apply a right indent with great success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines