• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

need this section to span edge to edge

Enthusiast ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a section to span edge to edge, however, the content within can stay in the main content standard area. It is the background cover image in this section I'd like to see fill that space. Currently it comes to a halt and won't exceed stnd content area.

<div class="col-md-12 col-sm-12 col-xs-12">

<div id="content" class="content my-clearfix">

<div id="main">

<div class="the-modules-section"></div>

<div class="the-modules-section screenFull sectionBlock" style="background-image:url();background:url(http://#); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: center center; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: cover;"></div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

Not sure how I need to rearrange things, or if it really is just a matter of working with the styles to solve the problem?

Tried this - does not seem to have an affect.

.mainOptionBlocks {
  1.    margin: 0 auto;
  2.    max-width: 100% !important;

}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy and paste the following code into a new document and view in browser.

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.3.1.slim.min.js" integrity="sha384-q8i/X+965DzO0rT7abK41JStQIAqVgRVzpbzo5smXKp4YfRvH+8abtTE1Pi6jizo" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, shrink-to-fit=no">

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://stackpath.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.1.0/css/bootstrap.min.css" integrity="sha384-9gVQ4dYFwwWSjIDZnLEWnxCjeSWFphJiwGPXr1jddIhOegiu1FwO5qRGvFXOdJZ4" crossorigin="anonymous">

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.7.0/css/font-awesome.min.css" integrity="sha384-wvfXpqpZZVQGK6TAh5PVlGOfQNHSoD2xbE+QkPxCAFlNEevoEH3Sl0sibVcOQVnN" crossorigin="anonymous">

</head>

<body class="bg-warning">

<section class="text-light bg-dark">

<div class="container">

<div class="row">

<div class="col">

<h1>My Heading</h1>

<p>Some text</p>

</div>

</div>

</div>

</section>

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/popper.js/1.14.0/umd/popper.min.js" integrity="sha384-cs/chFZiN24E4KMATLdqdvsezGxaGsi4hLGOzlXwp5UZB1LY//20VyM2taTB4QvJ" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://stackpath.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/4.1.0/js/bootstrap.min.js" integrity="sha384-uefMccjFJAIv6A+rW+L4AHf99KvxDjWSu1z9VI8SKNVmz4sk7buKt/6v9KI65qnm" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

</body></html>

Explanation:

• the example uses the latest version of Bootstrap
  • Bootstrap grid follows the following hierarchy:
    • container (fixed/fluid)
    • row
    • column(s)
  • in the example, the container is wrapped in a section which, by default, stretches across the available width - in this case, the width of the body. A background colour ensures that the section is visible.

The result:

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrapping anything in a section tag WITHOUT a heading tag following it wont validate correctly, you'll get a warning to consider using a heading tag. Personally I think that is completely stupid but I try and avoid using the section tag in those senarios. Wrapping the container in a <div> tag will probably work and you wont get the validator warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wont validate 'fully' unless the header is immediatley following the section tag:

<section class="blah">

<h1>My Heading</h1>

</section>

If you use the max-width Bootstrap 4 utilitiy class on the container it will make it span the whole width, no need to wrap it in a sevction tag:

<body class="bg-warning"> 

<div class="container mw-100">

<div class="row"> 

<div class="col text-light bg-dark"> 

<h1>My Heading</h1> 

<p>Some text</p> 

</div> 

</div> 

</div>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

It wont validate 'fully' unless the header is immediatley following the section tag:

Have you tried using The W3C Markup Validation Service on my code? I think you will find that there are some warnings that I would not have had if I had taken more care. But you will not find a validation error.

Having said that, the reason that I used a section in the example is because the OP mentioned a section. I hindsight, a div element would  have been more appropriate. I guess we could all find fault with each other's coding. For instance, when I see

I immediately think of

<div class="container-fluid">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

osgood_   wrote

Have you tried using The W3C Markup Validation Service on my code? I think you will find that there are some warnings that I would not have had if I had taken more care. But you will not find a validation error.

Have they changed it recently. I'm sure I used to get yacked at if I didnt include  some kind of h1-h6 directly after the <section> tag. At one point it was almost driving me nuts as I thought it was stupid but it appears you can have a heading in any child container. Then maybe I was including the section tag without a including a heading in any of the child containers!

BenPleysier  wrote

Having said that, the reason that I used a section in the example is because the OP mentioned a section. I hindsight, a div element would  have been more appropriate. I guess we could all find fault with each other's coding. For instance, when I see

I immediately think of

<div class="container-fluid">

Sure a fluid container would be the best solution but the code we were discussing used a container <div>

For sure we dont really know what the OP is using a container, fluid container or even if by section they really mean a html 5 section or just a section of code.....the info is too diluted to provide any real solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At one point it was almost driving me nuts as I thought it was stupid but it appears you can have a heading in any child container.

Join the club. Turning 75 next week and the crew think they are getting to go to a party.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BenPleysier  wrote

At one point it was almost driving me nuts as I thought it was stupid but it appears you can have a heading in any child container.

Join the club. Turning 75 next week and the crew think they are getting to go to a party.

Congrates.......hope I'm well out of it and sitting by a river with a cold beer watching the world go around by time I reach 75.

Sometimes I think hey this block of code would be good to wrap in a section tag, it might not necessarily warrant having a header tag and that's were it blows up. Not sure it is always necessary, or should always be necessary, to include a header tag within a section tag without getting a validation warning, but I don't make the rules up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines