18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2009 11:14 PM by tzeng

Unable to install AIR

lindsve
      I have trouble installing Adobe AIR, and the installer just quits with the error "An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator". (I am the administrator on this computer).

The installation log:
      Performing runtime install
      UI SWF load is complete
      UI initialized
      enter confirming
      Installation type: new
      stateInstalling: enter install
      Scheduling runtime installation operations
      Beginning runtime installation
      Beginning install
      Installing C:\DOCUME~1\geilin11\LOKALE~1\Temp\AIR42.tmp\setup.msi
      Uninstalling product w/ GUID {BB8B979E-E336-47E7-96BC-1031C1B94561}
      Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1605" errorID=0]
      Rolling back install of C:\DOCUME~1\geilin11\LOKALE~1\Temp\AIR42.tmp\setup.msi
      Rollback due to error complete
      stateInstalling: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1605" errorID=0]
      runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1605" errorID=0]

I have had betas installed previously, but I have tried to uninstall them both by the Add/Remove panel and by using the Windows Installer Cleanup utility linked a couple of times here on these forums. Still no luck.
        • 1. Re: Unable to install AIR
          Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
          This log indicates that the installer has detected and is attempting to clean up the (now expired) beta 1 release. Uninstalling it is failing, which suggests that it was not properly removed.

I recommend looking for and removing that specific version via the Windows Installer (or other) cleanup utility.

Hope that helps,
          Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 2. Re: Unable to install AIR
            lindsve Level 1
            Thanks for the response.

I am unable to find the beta 1 installation in all these locations: Add/Remove Applications panel, Windows Installer Clean Up utility and CCleaner.

Are there any other ways to remove the reference to this release?
            • 3. Unable to install AIR
              Interesting--haven't seen this scenario before. Try this:
              - Open regedit
              - Navigate to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes
              - Find the key that begins with "1F4562AA"
              - Delete it

Let me know how that goes.

thanks,
              Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 4. Re: Unable to install AIR
                lindsve Level 1
                Finally! Thank you for your assistance.

I'd like to add that I didn't find the key under HKLM, but in HKCU.
                • 5. Re: Unable to install AIR
                  mkgobaco
                  You mean you found it in HKLM not in HKCU.
                  • 6. Unable to install AIR
                    goldenz
                    Hello,
                    upgradeCodes in regedit doesn't exist in HKCU in my case but it exist in HKLM, btw I'm running Windows Vista SP1 Business Edition and I downloaded the Vista version "AdobeAIRInstaller" from http://get.adobe.com/air/
                    The error message "An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator."

Please Advice,
                    Regards
                    • 7. Re: Unable to install AIR
                      @goldenz: You'll need to provide some additional detail, for example, the log file from the failing install.

• 8. Re: Unable to install AIR
                        DanVega
                        I am having this same problem and this solution is not working for me. I completely removed the application from my computer and AIR will not install. Every time I install it I get the same message "An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator." Can anyone help, I really need air installed on my home computer.
                        • 9. Re: Unable to install AIR
                          ktempesta
                          I also cannot install AIR. I am on OS X 10.4.11. Nothing happens after I double-click the installer icon. Until I downloaded the .dmg today, I had no version of AIR installed on this machine. Nothing I have tried seems to actually start the installation process.
                          • 11. Re: Unable to install AIR
                            srlaca
                            Anyone find a solution to this? It is driving me nuts. I have tried everything and all my permissions are set to "allow", but still I get the same message:

"An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator."

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP1, and I've tried right clicking and then selecting "Run as administrator", but still I get the same message. I've also tried installing from my desktop. Still the same message.

I had no problem installing Air the first time around, but it wasn't allowing me to update the one program I was running using the Air platform, so I was advised to uninstall. Now it won't reinstall. I posted my install log file before, but I'll post again:

Here's the .airinstall.log file from the last install attempt:

UI SWF load is complete
                            UI initialized
                            starting user confirmation
                            Installation type: new
                            starting elevated install
                            subinstaller: starting install
                            subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations
                            subinstaller: Installed Product GUID: is same:false
                            subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation
                            subinstaller: Beginning install
                            subinstaller: Installing c:\users\me\appdata\local\temp\air7233.tmp\setup.msi
                            subinstaller: Execution complete; beginning commit phase
                            subinstaller: Commit complete
                            subinstaller: install complete
                            Elevated install completed
                            subinstaller: begin quitting
                            Elevated install failed (3001)
                            runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #3001" errorID=3001]
                            begin quitting

If anyone at Adobe is out there, I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!
                            • 12. Re: Unable to install AIR
                              Flash408
                              I too can install AIR, it keeps saying that there is another installation in progress. I have rebooted my PC and even did a system restore to a couple of days back to see if that will fix the problem. I have even run a registry cleaner to see if there were any broken links.

I did not find the reg key that you said. There is no HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes

there is
                              HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes but that key does not exist.

please help.
                              • 13. Re: Unable to install AIR
                                TJ Downes
                                I am also experiencing this on Vista Business SP1, 64bit. Installing AIR 1.5, upgrading from 1.1

It would be nice to know where the installer log is.
                                • 14. Re: Unable to install AIR
                                  TJ Downes Level 1
                                  OK, so I figured out the log bit, that info should be built right into the installer. As a matter of fact, Im quite confused as to why AIR just doesnt create the file automatically since it has file system access?

Here's my log

UI SWF load is complete
                                  UI initialized
                                  starting user confirmation
                                  Installation type: patchNewerNewest
                                  starting elevated install
                                  subinstaller: starting install
                                  subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations
                                  subinstaller: uninstall scheduled for 1.0.5, 1.0.4
                                  subinstaller: Installed Product GUID:{197A3012-8C85-4FD3-AB66-9EC7E13DB92E} is same:false
                                  subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation
                                  subinstaller: Beginning install
                                  subinstaller: Installing c:\users\tjsana~1.000\appdata\local\temp\airc929.tmp\setup.msi
                                  subinstaller: Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                                  subinstaller: Rolling back install of c:\users\tjsana~1.000\appdata\local\temp\airc929.tmp\setup.msi
                                  subinstaller: Rollback due to error complete
                                  subinstaller: error during install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                                  Failed during elevated install: error 0 1603
                                  runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                                  begin quitting
                                  • 16. Re: Unable to install AIR
                                    Tejas_Madlani
                                    Hi Oliver,

I am new to Adobe AIR environment and was wondering is there any way to develop AIR application compitible with MAC OS 10.3 (Panther) ? It would be great help if you could guide me through this.

Thanks in advance
                                    • 17. Re: Unable to install AIR
                                      scratchthedog
                                      go here
                                      C:\Program Files\Common Files
                                      rename the folder "Adobe AIR" to "junkAdobe AIR"

send me $25. (buy dreams of aces)

install Adobe Air as usual.

Drink beer.
                                      • 18. Re: Unable to install AIR
                                        tzeng Adobe Employee
                                        Tejas,

10.3 is not supported by AIR.

-ted