• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Table of Contents Won't Generate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the all of the Table of Contents in the Story editor. Its all there. But I see nothing in the layout. How can I fix this aspect of the missing Table of Contents.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

I just ran into this problem after spending hours formatting a complicated 50 page file - TOC cheerfully says "TOC has been generated", but nothing shows up.

What I did was to open a new empty file, drag and drop my thumbnail pages into it, and voila, TOC now generates quite normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clangton456  wrote

I can see the all of the Table of Contents in the Story editor. Its all there. But I see nothing in the layout. How can I fix this aspect of the missing Table of Contents.

Hi,

do you see an empty frame in the document?

Do you see an overset text frame?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi clangton456​:

In addition to Uwe's questions, click on the first paragraph in Story Editor view and check the Keep Options. Are there any settings in there copied from the source files that are oversetting the text?

Screenshot 2018-05-18 08.56.56.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think more information might be needed if the previous suggestions aren't working.

Instantly I wonder...Are you creating a book? If so, do you have "Include Book Documents" checked in the Table of Contents dialog box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this problem after spending hours formatting a complicated 50 page file - TOC cheerfully says "TOC has been generated", but nothing shows up.

What I did was to open a new empty file, drag and drop my thumbnail pages into it, and voila, TOC now generates quite normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Lucy,

That sounds like the original file got corrupted. It might also have been fixed by saving as an IDML file (File > Save > InDesign CS4 or Later [IDML] which can help eliminate corruption. Glad that worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines