• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom and PS photos have increased contrast/decreased exposure

New Here ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I opened up an image in PS today, and it came up looking really dark, contrasty and over saturated.  Same in LR. 

I checked the image in Paint, MS Photo, After Effects, and it looked as it should in all of those.

I've checked my GPU settings, and global settings are in force for all the various apps.  I've attached a screen shot of PS vs AE to demostrate the issue.

anyone else experiencing this issue?  I can't work with any photos in LR or PS until this is resolved

Capture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

The problem is with the monitor profile.

You seem to be on Windows 10, which is known to install bad profiles when doing updates, so that probably happened to you.

Paint, the Photos app, etc. are not color managed, do not use the monitor profile, and are therefore unaffected.

Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor). If this fixes the problem, you should ideally calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator.

Go to Control panel > Color management, add

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi philipb,

We're really sorry for all the hassle. Could you please let us know the exact version Photoshop you are using now?

Also, Photoshop and After effect both work on different color profiles. You may try calibrate the monitor profile back to defaults and check if that helps.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with the monitor profile.

You seem to be on Windows 10, which is known to install bad profiles when doing updates, so that probably happened to you.

Paint, the Photos app, etc. are not color managed, do not use the monitor profile, and are therefore unaffected.

Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor). If this fixes the problem, you should ideally calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator.

Go to Control panel > Color management, add the sRGB profile, and set it as default. Make sure Use my settings for this device is checked.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mohit%20Goyal  wrote

Also, Photoshop and After effect both work on different color profiles.

After Effect is probably not color managed – Photoshop is.

Color managed applications will display correct colors regardless of the profile, as long as the monitor profile is sound and correct.

You may try calibrate the monitor profile back to defaults and check if that helps.

There is no such thing as a default monitor profile.

When you run calibration with a hardware calibrator, a custom profile is created, which describes the monitor accurately in its calibrated state. So the calibration process consists of two steps – calibration and profiling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks, that worked.  I think it might have been the April Windows Update that gave me the headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating discussion and one I'd not given enough thought to.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines