2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2008 2:51 AM by jonshutt

Export Flash graphic to Illustrator

jonshutt
      I'm trying to find out the best way to export/copy graphic drawn in flash and paste/import into Illustrator (using flash / illustrator CS3 )

There are good features to bring illustrator files into flash, but i can't seem to do it in reverse.

I've tried simply copying and pasting, but that gives really odd results - some bits come through ok, other bits are in wrong places or missing.

the 'export images' function in flash cs3 allows export to Illustrator, but only lists version 88, 3,5,and 6, none of which can be imported to illustrator cs3!

I can use features like export to EMS, WMF EMF, but they all lose lots of information - transparency, gradients etc.

I just feel there should be a really simple way of doing this!
        • 1. Re: Export Flash graphic to Illustrator
          Level 7
          jonshutt wrote:
          > I'm trying to find out the best way to export/copy graphic drawn in flash and
          > paste/import into Illustrator (using flash / illustrator CS3 )
          >
          > There are good features to bring illustrator files into flash, but i can't
          > seem to do it in reverse.
          >
          > I've tried simply copying and pasting, but that gives really odd results -
          > some bits come through ok, other bits are in wrong places or missing.
          >
          > the 'export images' function in flash cs3 allows export to Illustrator, but
          > only lists version 88, 3,5,and 6, none of which can be imported to illustrator
          > cs3!
          >
          > I can use features like export to EMS, WMF EMF, but they all lose lots of
          > information - transparency, gradients etc.
          >
          > I just feel there should be a really simple way of doing this!

Maybe something specifically wrong on your end because I'm exporting AI 6.0 out of flash
          every day and never had single problem with files in illustrator.
          Of course you must remember that some things are for flash use only, like movie clip filters
          which export in different way than regular vectors and these features are not supported.
          Also remember that by default Flash is RGB while Illustrator is CMYK so there might be
          differences in colors for obvious reason. Other than that, never had any problems while
          exporting to 6.0 ai file.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: Export Flash graphic to Illustrator
            jonshutt Level 1
            Thanks for the info,

Maybe it was the RGB/CMYK colour settings, but I found that if I created a new image in illustrator, and try to 'place' / import the AI file from flash, it doesn't work. however, if I 'open' the AI file in illustrator it opens it no problem!