• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set To Frame Size, Then Nested. Lowered Resolution?

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping y'all can clear something up for me.

I'm working on a project shot in 4K. I plan to output the final videos in 1080p. I created 1080p sequences and dropped my 4K clips into them, then right clicked on each one and chose the option "set to frame size." I planned to take advantage of the 4K footage by scaling them up and, effectively, zooming in on my subjects. I shot the video very wide with this strategy in mind.

Later in the editing process, I needed to stabilize a lot of the footage. Warp Stabilizer will not work on clips which are not the same size as the sequence that contains them. The solution, I read, is to "nest" each clip before using the warp stabilizer. I did so.

Now, I'm at the stage where I increase the scale on the clips. However, when I do this with my nested clips, it appears that they've lost resolution. Furthermore, under "Effect Controls," I see that the nested clips are at 100% (before I increase the scale) while the un-nested clips are at 50%.

Am I going to have to go back and re-do all of this, increasing the scale before I nest and apply warp stabilizer?

I've found some previous questions and answers that deal with a similar - but not precisely the same - problem. Everything I learned from them seemed to be saying that, yes, I'm boinked.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Now, I'm at the stage where I increase the scale on the clips. However, when I do this with my nested clips, it appears that they've lost resolution. Furthermore, under "Effect Controls," I see that the nested clips are at 100% (before I increase the scale) while the un-nested clips are at 50%.

That is correct.

Any scaling is done before nesting:

Nesting will always result in the frame setting to 100%. There is no way around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is correct.

Any scaling is done before nesting:

Nesting will always result in the frame setting to 100%. There is no way around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines