• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro DC on MAC freezing when in preferences menu.

New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Using Acrobat Pro DC on MAC running High Sierra 10.13.4.

Acrobat DC build 18.11.20040.280397 as part of CC subscription. No available updates.

I keep experiencing random freezes, usually in either the Preferences menu or the tool edit menu. I just get the spinning beach ball of death when in these menus after 10-20 seconds. Occasionally freezes when editing any PDF, but almost every time in the preferences menu

I have reset preferences, used the acrobat cleaner prog, rebooted, re-installed, same issues (done this process several times). Then I uninstalled all CC apps, used the CC cleaner, rebooted and reinstalled just Acrobat Pro DC. Same result, freezing in the preferences menu.

Any advice, getting very frustrating.

Thanks,

Ben

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ben,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, the Acrobat Pro DC build 18.11.20040 is crashing on Preferences menu, Is that correct?

With the description you shared, you have almost tried all the possible steps to resolve the issue, but unfortunately, the issue still persists.

Try creating a test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account on your machine and check with Acrobat and see if this issue is reproducible.

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Anand.

I tried a new user account profile and the issue does not seem to be present. I can scroll through and step through the preferences menu without any problems.

I returned to my original login, tried acrobat again and freeze within a few seconds of opening the preferences menu.

Any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ben,

Thank you for sharing the details, it seems to be a  user profile issue, please install all the updates of Operating system, reboot the machine and check.

If the issue persists, please try to repair the current user profile in which the Acrobat is freezing, or repair the operating system.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how do you "repair the current user profile"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HelloRYVMI,

You can create a test user profile with full admin rights or can repair the Operating system, install all the mandatory updates of the operating system. You can also contact the Apple support Official Apple Support

-Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the end the suggested solutions to these issues, beyond the basic to moderate to perform, are a bit extreme and have the potential to cause big issues for the user and their data, setup etc.   Further they take substantial amounts of time where the user is not working or able to use their systems.

There may be non Acrobat issues with the user's preferences, profile, network, enterprise etc but the fundamental is that Adobe Acrobat does not handle issues well.  It should not hang when it encounters an issue with an external system.  It should fail with a nice error that describes where the issue is. 

I run many applications from a wide range of software providers on my High Sierra system and only one hangs - Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. 

I have the latest OS and the latest Adobe updates on both my Macs (both have the same issues).  I have uninstalled, reinstalled and  worked with Adobe support making numerous changes to my system with no success whatsoever.  Acrobat hangs when I try to send an email, when I am in preferences, when I am working with forms, and a whole range of other occasions.  It happens so often I have written a script to shut down Acrobat and restart it.

I have this fantastically capable application where I don't use a whole range of functionality I am paying for and want to use but know have a high chance of crashing the application.  I feel like I am being ripped off - with a crippled application - and don't have a solution to various business problems I have that I should be able to use Acrobat for.

From all the forums etc I am not alone.

Once again, when will Acrobat be fixed so it at least works without crashing and hanging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Hmossop,

We're sorry for the trouble you had if you have tried all the suggestions shared above and the issue still persists with Acrobat, please contact the Acrobat technical support team by chat/call so that they can schedule a remote session to investigate more and assist you further Contact Customer Care

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why do we have to contact Acrobat when the issue has only started with the new IOS update? Is Apple not on top of this issue and trying to fix themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same frustrating issue!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.Trying to fix Adobe Acrobat Pro DC is so onerous I am having a meltdown. I am going to search more across the web and find if anyone has a sane approach to fixing this problem. (I mean seriously, reinstall OS, use ADMIN, reinstall Acrobat????)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same boat. Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Acrobat Pro DC freezes upon opening. I am on a Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4. 

I have no idea how to create a new or replacement user profile. I also do not understand how to repair the Operating System of Acrobat. The Mac has an OS of course. Is that what you are referring to?

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

we are sorry for the trouble and the delay in response. I hope you would be able to fix it by now.

If the issue still persists,

What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC

Make sure you have the latest version 20.009.20065 installed go to Help > Check for Updates.

If it still doesn't work, please enable the root account in Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012) and try using the application there and check.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines