• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to extract the original raw file from dng

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I extract the original raw file from the dng file. I have imported with the selection to embed the original raw file in the dng file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

I have never done it. However, in the standalone DNG converter there is an "Extract" button at the bottom of the dialog. When you click on it you can choose a folder that contains DNG files containing embedded raw images. After you choose the folder, the DNG converter will extract the raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never done it. However, in the standalone DNG converter there is an "Extract" button at the bottom of the dialog. When you click on it you can choose a folder that contains DNG files containing embedded raw images. After you choose the folder, the DNG converter will extract the raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, thank you. I downloaded the Digital Negative Converter and was able to extract the original RAW files from the DNGs in which I had embedded the RAWs. I have been converting all my RAWs to DNGs for years and fortunately also embedding the original files. Now I'm starting to use Iridient Developer and their X and S Transformers since it's reputed to have a much better RAW conversion engine than that found in ACR or LR. My workflow has been to import DNGs into LR, process there and then finish in Pshop if necessary. However, Adobe in it's infinite wisdom seems to have neglected to include any reconversion capability in either ACR or LR in the CC versions which is all I use now. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see two possibilities:

If the DNG files resulted by using the "Copy as DNG" when Importing the originals into the LR catalog- then the 'Original raw' file was converted to DNG, and does not contain the 'Original raw' embedded.

If you used the Adobe DNG Converter program to convert raw to DNG, AND had the option checked to "embed the original"  then the Converter can be used to extract the original.

Only in scenario-2 will you be able to restore the camera raw (NEF, CR2, etc)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there:

In my case, I'm using Adobe Camera Raw to take 2 or 3 Canon CR2 files and mereging them into an HDR.  Are the original CR2s inside the DNG in my case?  The DNG file is about 120MB while the two CR2 files combined are under 80MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TBMK -The DNG file created by the HDR merge (and Panorma merge) is not a pure 'raw' file but rather a special type of TIF file that can be edited similarly to a raw.

This would account for the apparent increase in file size (if you are thinking that the HDR should be closer to 80MB.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried that but when I click on the select folder with the images that I wish to convert, it is all grayed out, and I am unable to choose the images. I confirmed that that I had chosen embed orignal raw format when I copied and imported to Lightroom classic. what do I do now 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines