8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2018 11:52 AM by AnandSri

Making Hand Tool the Default Choice

vladk5779022 Level 1

In Adobe Acrobat Professional, after I select the Selection Tool and close the document, the next document which I open has the Selection Tool selected. (The program remembers the last choice.) What needs to be changed in the settings so that documents may always open with the Hand (Pan) tool selected?

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice
          AnandSri Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hello Vladk,

As per the description above, you want to make the "Hand Tool" as default, is that correct?

Please navigate to Acrobat's Preferences, Go to Edit>Preferences>Accessibility>Uncheck "Always display the keyboard selection cursor">Click OK.

Close Adobe Acrobat, re-open Adobe with a PDF document and you will find the "Hand Tool" as default.

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice
            vladk5779022 Level 1

I want the hand tool to be always selected by default. I have checked the settings in the Accessibility section, and there is no check mark beside the option “Always display the keyboard selection cursor.”

If I select the Select Tool, close the document, and open another document, the Select Tool is selected in the opened document. (The program remembers the tool which was last used.) Is there a way to make all documents open with the hand tool selected by default, regardless of what tool was selected the last time?

• 3. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice

Hello Vladk,

Please navigate to Edit>Preferences>General and check "Make hand tool select text & images". Make sure that you have the option "Always display the keyboard selection cursor" unchecked under Accessibility.

Close the PDF and Acrobat, launch Acrobat and reopen any PDF.

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

• 4. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice
                vladk5779022 Level 1

I have put a check mark beside “Make hand tool select text & images” in the General category. The result is still the same: If I select the Select Tool, close the document, and open another document, the Select Tool is selected in the opened document. The program remembers the tool which was last used. I need to know how to make all documents open with the hand tool selected by default regardless of what tool was selected the last time.

• 5. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice

Hello Vladk,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Few PDF files have there pre-defined view settings created/applied by the owner of the file and this cannot be changed.

You may try the following steps and check:

1) Open Adobe

2) Edit > Preferences

3) Accessibility

4) Uncheck "Always display the keyboard selection cursor"

5) Click "OK"

6) Close Adobe

7) Re-open Adobe with a PDF document

Let us know your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

• 6. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice
                    vladk5779022 Level 1

I have gone to Edit>Preferences>Accessibility. There is no check mark beside “Always display the keyboard selection cursor.” The program remembers the tool which was used last, whether the Hand tool or the Select tool. This applies in all files which are opened.

• 7. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice
                      vladk5779022 Level 1

Do you know how to make all documents open with the Hand tool selected by default?

• 8. Re: Making Hand Tool the Default Choice

Hello Vladk,

Every PDF files have there own viewing preferences set while creating the PDF by the owner. You can change the view settings for your view preferences, however, they will not be set as default for every document.

The steps shared above are to make the hand tool default, and apart from this, there is no other setting to make changes in the viewing preferences.

You can file a feature request using the Adobe wish form Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Anand Sri.