• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not copy a file to the destination folder because it is not writable. (70)

Explorer ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen similar threads but none have helped me.  I am certain that the destination folder is writeable as I have written files there and so has Lightroom when it loads from my iPhone via WiFi. 

Trying to read images from my OM-D, does not work when I connect by cable, does not work when I put the SD card in a USB card reader.  Worked just fine for the past several years with my Canon and my OM-D since December 2017.

Here is the error message:

Could not copy a file to the destination folder because it is not writable. (70)

BUT I have my iPhone set to sync with Lightroom through WiFi and it is doing that just fine - I use the file structure yyyy/mm/dd and since May 19 I have not been able to upload a file from my OM-D but I have over 50 iPhone images that have uploaded just fine. 

I have a 1TB drive with over 200GB of space.

I took a shot with my iPhone and one with my OM-D, the OM-D file will not load, the iPhone shot gets there fine through WiFi.

Running on a MacBook Pro Mid 2010

MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Lightroom Classic CC updated very recently

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify:  Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC, 7.3.1 Release, Camera Raw 10.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are getting this error message because the selected Destination folder does not have write permission. The reason you can write other photos to this folder is because somehow, accidentally, the OM-D and the cell phone photos are not being imported to the same Destination folder. You need to change the destination folder in the Import dialog box when you import the OM-D to the same location as when you import from the cell phone, or change the permissions on this folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, logically it sure sounds like a permissions problem with a folder.  But I've checked multiple times and both the iPhone imports and OM-D imports are set up exactly the same way.  Have been for many months.  They always go into the same yyyy/mm/dd folders, but just yesterday (after a gap of a week or two of shooting with the OM-D) the OM-D files no longer will upload. 

I'll look yet again - and I'm getting a friend to look with me.

I'd also like to say that I am a member of a camera club and at least two other members have recently had issues with importing to Lightroom, not the same issue as mine, but similar.  One person is resorting to frequent hard restarts of his iMac and another is copying her SD cards onto her hard drive, then importing them from there because importing directly from the SD cards has become unreliable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show us a screen capture of the Import dialog box when you attempt to import from OM-D

show us a screen capture of the permissions on the Destination folder for this import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a series of screen shots, pretty sure it is not a permissions problem.  Hope they are readable inside this forum tool - maybe you can zoom in to see them.  Or tell me another way to transmit the images. 

First shot showing my library panel and my import panel  this shows that the folders my iPhone images are in are the same folders I am sending my OM-D images to

A library and import.jpg

Second shot showing permissions on one of the folders in question - I checked several folders on my drive, all have the same permissions

B Permissions on folder.jpg

Then my friend suggested a work-around.  Instead of trying to copy or move on the import I just did an add, then after they were successfully inside the catalog I dragged and dropped five images into exactly the same folder that I wanted them to go into in the first place - if there was a permissions problem I would expect this to fail also:

Third screen shot showing the drag/drop operation

C Add then drag drop.jpg

Finally this fourth shot shows the images in the folder I wanted them to go to in the first place - no permissions were changed nor errors encountered.  I have a work-around but there is still a basic problem I would like a solution for. 

D successful work around.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you change the permissions for "Everyone" to read and write?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plot thickens.  These tests on a fresh folder created minutes ago. 

1)  I took an iPhone shot and saw that it uploaded into the newly created by Lightroom 2018/05/30 folder correctly - with no change to permissions

2)  I changed the everyone permission to read/write and it worked when i uploaded from OM-D

3)  I changed the everyone permission back to read only and it worked when i uploaded from OM-D

4)  I removed these test images from Lightroom and deleted the directory, I uploaded five images from the OM-D and it worked.  The everyone permission on this newly created folder is read only

So what I had here was a transient problem.  It was there for three days then went away.  Does not make me feel warm and fuzzy but I am back to the working state I was in before.  So I will file the URL to this issue for future reference and close it since it is not repeatable, but not because it was solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. Jumping on an old thread here but I have had the same problem today and I finally worked it out in my case. Ext hard drive permissions were Read and Write, but I couldn't copy to the drive. It was because I'd used that drive as a back up folder for Time Machine and Apple decided that it would therefore be Read Only. Aaargh ...

Thought I'd post in case it helps anyone in the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had some permissions errors on my mac as well. I used Clean my Mac by MacPaw | Making Your Mac Life Simpler

It solved my issues. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines