Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp and Number of Files Generated

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2008 Mar 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Using RH 7.0 to build our WebHelp system. Is it really necessary to take all the files that are outputted to the WebHelp folder? I am checking these into a location for engineering to pick up in their builds so that the context sensitive help works. I am not even sure what 1/2 of these files are or what they are used for.

I have been reading about RoboHelp Packager for Adobe AIR, would this be something to look into to reduce file count?

Thanks,

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2008 Mar 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary

You asked:
Is it really necessary to take all the files that are outputted to the WebHelp folder?

And the answer is: Only if you want your WebHelp to work for your users.

The bottom line is that you really should consider all of them necessary.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question and I don't understand Captiv8r's response. I have dozens of files I know are not necessary for the particular layout I'm generating. I have one project with 6 layouts. Every time I generate a layout all the files for all the layouts are included. For instance all the files associated for an admin topic are included when I generate a student layout. That topic is not in the student TOC, why are they copied into my student project? Another example, the instructor folder is included in generated output of every project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2008 Mar 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hardlyworking

Okay, now it is me that is confused. For starters, and just to clarify, I suspect MEP45 was/is creating a single WebHelp target with no Student/Admin stuff. Just basic WebHelp was what I was assuming was being discussed.

Now on to your issue. How are you generating? Batch generate? Are you using a merged setup? Conditional tagging? We need more information to go on here.

The bottom line here is that many folks see the swarm of WebHelp files and think that surely there has to be some way to put it on a diet and slim it down a bit. But all those files are there for a reason. Accommodating different browsers, different settings within the same browsers, different versions of the same browser, etc. While it would be possible to ferret out all the files that aren't needed for your own situation and delete them, it would have to be done each and every time you updated the help. From an efficiency standpoint, it's simply better to consider all of them necessary and adapt to the flow.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2008 Mar 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have alot of graphic files that start with wht_blah blah that I do not use anywhere in my layout. Why do I need them or stop them from being outputted?

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure they are not the wh files and folders that RH creates as part of the webhelp output?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi all

Near as I can tell, these are parts of WebHelp output that may be needed in some cases. If you look at the images themselves, they appear to be bits of navigation that might be used perhaps in a fallback of sorts. They are rather bland and basic.

Unfortunately I'm doubtful that you will manage to eliminate them from being created. Unless, perhaps, you were to remove them from the mix in the seed files used. Perhaps that's worth trying. But if I were to do that, I'd be creating a folder among the seed files and moving them into the folder as a safeguard.

If you are using RoboHelp 7, I believe you will find the files in this location:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 7\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp