0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 12:14 AM by richardt67835459

Collections just emptied - 14K photos unsynced

richardt67835459

Hi, I'm posting just to see if anyone else has seen this happen and if so maybe learn from my experiments? Bold for the gist of it.

I have (had) around 14K photos synced from Classic to CC - I run CC on my Android phone and MS Surface, Classic on my windows desktop.

I just opened LrCC on my phone to find almost all of my collections are empty and I now have just 19 (unrelated in any way) synced photos. This is also the case on my desktop Lightroom Classic, and on the Web, and when I turned on my Surface, it rapidly synced from an initial 14K or so photos, to the same 19 photos. I guess I had no option but to let them all sync and that's where I am now. The photos are safe on my PC with 2 backups so I wasn't worried about losing the actual photos. And I backup my catalog every session.

I have not been doing any bulk work on my collections and it seems almost impossible that I inadvertently selected all of my photos, except for this random 19, and then removed them from my collections. I can't think of any other way this could be a user error but happy to learn otherwise.

I am currently attempting to restore from a backup catalog but in the process of shutting down Lightroom Classic I've found that the "optimising catalog" is running for much longer than normal - maybe 5 minutes so far - and counting - and it's chewing up RAM - 22GB - I think it's crashed but I'll give it a while. And....Lightroom just crashed, monitors went blank, unplugging one of them restored display. Sent the crash report to Adobe.

So I'm really hoping restoring the backup will do it, I don't relish the task of re-populating all those collections!

Please post if you've seen this problem too, or can offer any advice. I'll update as I go.

OK, backup catalog now restored but sync wouldn't work until I deleted the sync from the cloud and the pc - it took a few goes but I'll keep this as brief as I can.

So now I'm resyncing 14K photos, and rebuilding the folder structure manually which is a complete pain in the xxxx. I'm now behind with work, so a frustrating waste of time, I hope this helps others, and if there was a shortcut I'd be grateful so I know for next time.

Don't forget those backups - I have no idea how long it would have taken me to re-catalog all my photos...and I don't fancy finding out!

Cheers, Richard