• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to force processing a PDF in Polish.

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've created the PowerPoint presentation in Polish and saved it as a PDF/A (it has to be accessible and readable by various automatic readers).
The problem is that is is read sometimes in Polish sometimes in English although the main language for PowerPoint and for PDF is set as Polish.

The important note is that in other documents created exaclty the same way there is no such a problem.
I was told that I can try to do sth in Acrobat Pro - I've checked - the main language is Polsih. Where else to look to force processig in Polish?

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the language setting for the affected text in PowerPoint?

In your PDF, you can set just one document language, however, you are able to set another language setting on each PDF tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've checked in PowerPoint. The language settings are proper. In my PDF the language for the whole document is set as Polish. Something that I can try is set antoher language on each PDF tag - but how can I do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say it reads "sometimes" in English. Is it consistent? I mean, on a particular system and screen reader, is it always the same language? Some screen readers (especially Read Out Loud which is not an accessibility tool) may use a system default language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it always choose English for particular slides, the reader default language is Polish. Something must be hidden in this particular  document because all other documents are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what I asking is whether these screen readers ever read Polish for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 Yes, reads Polish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this same Screen Reader will sometimes read in Polish from a different PDF? Not a different screen reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the same screen reader. Its default language is Polish and it does recognize Polish in my PDF by some part of it are read in English although the languge set for the document is Polish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can check if a tag has another language setting in the object properties. See step 1 and 2 of varation 2 of the tutorial “Change PDF tags in Acrobat”.

I quickly tested a PDF with a German paragraph but with an English language setting on its <P> tag. VoiceOver and the Preview app changed to the English voice. NVDA with Acrobat Reader have read the text in German. Perhaps, I haven't set up NVDA properly. However, I'm not a screenreader pro.

In case there is a specific language setting on your tag, my guess this somehow comes from the PowerPoint file.

In case there are no language settings in your tags, my guess would be your screenreader has some kind of auto language detection, which doesn't work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines