11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2018 5:46 PM by R Neil Haugen

Adjustment layer exports with different colors

_Zeninho_

Hello!

I'm having the following problem:

I have my final sequence all finished and with color correction and color grading done. The color grading is done partly with Lumetri on each clip and the general and final mood is applied with an adjustment layer on top off the whole sequence.

When I reproduce the project on premiere (after render the whole thing) I see the colors just as I want them. But when I export the project it renders colors differently. With some project it was very desaturated (almost B&W) with others its more saturated and deeper blacks.

I've discovered that this is something caused by the adjustment layer on top because if I turn it off and export the sequence I get the colors just as I see them on the monitor panel.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong? Can somebody help me? I'm not being able to grade my projects.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
          Vidya Sagar Adobe Employee

Hi _Zeninho_,

Sorry for the trouble. Import the exported file back into Premiere Pro & check the colors.

Also, just for a test, change the renderer in Project settings & check the issue with an Adjustment layer. Steps: FAQ: How to change the Video Renderer in Premiere Pro?

Let us know the status.

Thanks,

Vidya

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
            _Zeninho_ Level 1

Hi Vidya,

Thanks for your quick answer!

I've tried changing the renderer and it does not solve the problem.

I've also made some more test in order to find out where the problem is. I've tried the following: I've copied and pasted to each clip of the sequence the Lumetri effect applied to the adjustment layer and exported the sequence like that and the colors rendered ok. So the problem is definitely on the process of exporting and rendering the sequence with the adjustment layer. The export settings were on both cases the same and nothing changed except for the Lumetri effect being directly on each clip or in one adjustment layer above all the clips.

Can you point out any more possible solutions?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
              juanmario Level 2

As it has happened to me that when combining effects not of the expected result I make this comment to you:

According to what I understand from your comment, it seems that Premiere does not process the preview in the same way as the export.

The way I had to solve the problem is to nest, select the entire sequence, right click, nest, and above the nested sequence the adjustment layer with the rest of the effects.

You can test if it also works for you.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                Vidya Sagar Adobe Employee

Hi _Zeninho_,,

Please try the steps recommended by juanmario & let us know the status.

Thanks,

Vidya

• 5. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

I think Jamie LeJeune has it right in the following thread from the Blackmagic forums.  He's specifically talking about Resolve, but the idea holds true for all NLEs.  The upshot is, "The only image you can trust is to run SDI out to an accurately calibrated reference monitor."

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68410

• 6. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                    _Zeninho_ Level 1

Thanks juanmario! I'm about to try what you proposed. I didn't understand one thing. You suggest that I should nest the whole sequence and apply the adjustment layer to the nested sequence right?

Regards,

• 7. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                      _Zeninho_ Level 1

Hi Jim Simon! thanks for your reply. I understand what you say buy I don't think this is the case. My problem is that I see differences in the way premiere renders colors when exporting my projects. This differences are visible on the same monitor. So, when I compare the colors on premiere against the colors on the exported file they differ greatly.

What you suggest would apply if the differences appeared when I change the viewing monitor, am I right?

Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

Regards!

• 8. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

My problem is that I see differences in the way premiere renders colors when exporting my projects.

That could easily be because you're not viewing it correctly.  That is always the first step here.  Make sure you're seeing an accurate signal.  That means a calibrated display from a hardware device.

• 9. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                          _Zeninho_ Level 1

I'm sorry if I keep insisting with this and thank you for bearing with me, but if I always use the same monitor (my MacBook Pro monitor) shouldn't  I always see the same colors (during editing and after exporting)? Even if these are not accurate as my laptop's monitor may not be well calibrated. The miscalibration should be the same for both instances (editing inside premiere and exported final file).

If this was a problem of bad calibration I should see one thing during editing, the same thing when I see the exported file on my laptop and a different one when I see this file on one well calibrated monitor. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for your reply and patience.

Regards

PS. Please find attached both instances (what I see in premiere and the exported file) both on my macbook monitor side by side

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 15.07.58.png

• 10. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                            juanmario Level 2

Hi _Zeninho_

I apologize if my previous comment was not understood.

Exactly, that's what I meant, apply the adjustment layer to the nested sequence.

This separates the processing of the effects.

• 11. Re: Adjustment layer exports with different colors
                              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To your question, absolutely ... not.

PrPro is built around working with the universal standards for pro b-cast media: Rec 709/sRGB at gamma 2.2, and will work to show that within the program. If your monitor is not set for that, viewers outside the app will not show the image the same. Especially QuickTime player and the Safari and Chrome browsers, which are all completely color-unaware.

VLC and Potplayer are mostly color-aware, and you can go into them and set the color space I think on most rigs. Could be wrong on that last bit though. And Firefox is the only color-aware browser.

Many recent Mac monitors are P3, a very different color space with different gamma also I believe. Mac gives no user options to set color space and anyway, if the monitor hardware is P3, it probably will only be sort of successful to try & profile it to sRGB/2.2.

PrPro currently doesn't have user-settings for color management, other than in the Lumetri panel you can select Rec2020 and HDR, which ... unless you actually have a monitor capable of those, doesn't do much. Feel free to request more user settings for color management in PrPro. HDR is coming, and rather fast ... and monitors are changing also. I tend to think we need to be able to adjust for what our gear is to at least some minimal extent.

Neil

Adobe UserVoice Bug /Feature form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro