3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 4:21 PM by Captiv8r

I have the output files (images, .html pages), but no .xpj file. How do I restore it?

samc40286468 Level 1

Hi community, I'm relatively new to using Adobe RoboHelp, so any help would be really appreciated.

I'm a technical writer, and we use Adobe RoboHelp 2017 for one of our desktop applications. The technical writer who used to work at the company has left, so it's my job to update the help file. However, it doesn't appear the technical writer has left any of the .XPJ files which I need to open the project, so I'm not sure what to do.

I am able to extract all of the help files, such as the images, .html files, index etc... by installing the desktop application. I can even open one of the .HTML files and it opens the entire help file. However, I need to update this help file with new material from the new release, so I need a way to do this.

It appears I have all the ingredients which were needed to build the file, but I don't have the file itself. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on what I can do? I thought I could build it again from scratch since all the files are available, but I was wondering if there's an easier way to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• 1. Re: I have the output files (images, .html pages), but no .xpj file. How do I restore it?
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

It's sounding rather like all you have is the output. In the root of the source you will find XPJ and CPD files amongst others. In the output you will typically see index.htm and that will open the output. A screenshot of that would help to identify whether it is webhelp or a responsive output.

You could look at one of the sample projects to see the different types of file in the source and outputs. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Whilst you say you have the ingredients, if they are output files then you don't have the ingredients as whilst the file names are the same, the HTML is very different.

You need to search for the XPJ file to find the source. I'm guessing it is on the PC used by the previous author. Is it still available and still accessible?

If not you have the fun task of reverse engineering the output. See Reverse Engineering on my site if you have to go down that path.

Let us know more first when you have poked around.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: I have the output files (images, .html pages), but no .xpj file. How do I restore it?
            samc40286468 Level 1

Hey Peter,

First off, thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem; I really appreciate it. The owner of the previous PC had many backups created, and I found out that we may be able to recover them. I've filed a ticket with my IT team to try and recover them, but it's no guarantee they'll be able to recover them. I'll also bookmark your page as a source in case I have to journey down the reverse engineer path, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Here are two screenshots, the first being the files I have, the other being the index.htm file which is opened up.

Other than reverse engineering the output, any other suggestions?

• 3. Re: I have the output files (images, .html pages), but no .xpj file. How do I restore it?
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not Peter, of course, but there are no other options but to reverse engineer if you don't have the source files.

Sorry... Rick