• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have the output files (images, .html pages), but no .xpj file. How do I restore it?

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community, I'm relatively new to using Adobe RoboHelp, so any help would be really appreciated.

I'm a technical writer, and we use Adobe RoboHelp 2017 for one of our desktop applications. The technical writer who used to work at the company has left, so it's my job to update the help file. However, it doesn't appear the technical writer has left any of the .XPJ files which I need to open the project, so I'm not sure what to do.

I am able to extract all of the help files, such as the images, .html files, index etc... by installing the desktop application. I can even open one of the .HTML files and it opens the entire help file. However, I need to update this help file with new material from the new release, so I need a way to do this.

It appears I have all the ingredients which were needed to build the file, but I don't have the file itself. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on what I can do? I thought I could build it again from scratch since all the files are available, but I was wondering if there's an easier way to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sounding rather like all you have is the output. In the root of the source you will find XPJ and CPD files amongst others. In the output you will typically see index.htm and that will open the output. A screenshot of that would help to identify whether it is webhelp or a responsive output.

You could look at one of the sample projects to see the different types of file in the source and outputs. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Whilst you say you have the ingredients, if they are output files then you don't have the ingredients as whilst the file names are the same, the HTML is very different.

You need to search for the XPJ file to find the source. I'm guessing it is on the PC used by the previous author. Is it still available and still accessible?

If not you have the fun task of reverse engineering the output. See Reverse Engineering on my site if you have to go down that path.

Let us know more first when you have poked around.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter,

First off, thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem; I really appreciate it. The owner of the previous PC had many backups created, and I found out that we may be able to recover them. I've filed a ticket with my IT team to try and recover them, but it's no guarantee they'll be able to recover them. I'll also bookmark your page as a source in case I have to journey down the reverse engineer path, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Here are two screenshots, the first being the files I have, the other being the index.htm file which is opened up.

Other than reverse engineering the output, any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not Peter, of course, but there are no other options but to reverse engineer if you don't have the source files.

Sorry... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning Peter and Captiv8r -  I too am having the same problem for 5 -6 mos. now.  Upon upgrading to RoboHelp 11 a file was corrupted (CPD) and could not convert my project.  Deleted CPD, new CPD did not work.  Brought back RoboHelp 9 , can't use the xpj file at all -not compatible.  Had our SRC developer  to retrieve the backup files before publishing -  but can't execute there's no associated *.xpj file found (can't use the corrupted one).  All the other components of the project is present (indexes, hyperlinks, etc.).  IT's huge.  I do not know how to establish a new .xpj and have all the components linked (there's no  *.hpj *.hhp)..NOTHING in the backups.  How do I know if I have the source files and whether reverse engineering will work?.  Require information to give to SRC developer - for  he stated for "me" to contact Adobe.  Looking at the site, this is the only place I found info for this and it's here with you all!    Your help will be gravely and super extra appreciated.  I have been stating in each weekly status meeting:  

"RoboHelp software has an upgrade which is not compatible with the current manual's version.  SRC is still working with Letia on defining an upgrade resolution to allow the information to be accessed and executed for an successful upload to our Intranet."

Thanks, Letia Mitchell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were in your shoes, I'd be strongly investigating purchasing Willam's recovery script from the link below:

https://www.helpessentials.com/product/recovery-script/10/

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with Willam its compatibility with your version of RoboHelp. I'm not

sure what version of RoboHelp it can create projects for. Rick, do you know?

What is your current version? I'm not clear on that.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter -Happy Friday to you!  I am currently use RoboHelp 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Willam's script is OK for that but you do have to pay for it, worth the money though.

If that's not an option, see Reverse Engineering on my site.

Can you clarify what you mean by

RoboHelp software has an upgrade which is not compatible with the current manual's version.  SRC is still working with Letia on defining an upgrade resolution to allow the information to be accessed and executed for an successful upload to our Intranet.

Let us know if the script or the hard way work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William - That excerpt is from my weekly status report on why the steps to publish the revisions of our procedure manual is not updated our intranet site - it has not changed for 6 months on trying to figure this matter out with our SRC developers.   

I will instruct our SRC developers to go to your site first and review/try the Reverse Engineering - if no luck; I will have to get departmental approval to purchase the software.   I've already scheduled a meeting for next week based on your much appreciated help.  Thank you so much; Letia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except I'm Peter

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also have pointed you to Opening RoboHelp Projects on my site.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you get this sorted out?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp