4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2018 6:23 AM by SAFEHARBOR11

My video is cropped- and more so when exported?

nicksucio

I'm not sure how to describe this but my whole screen seems to be compressed. It even looks worse once I try to export.
      Any suggestions?

ratio.JPG

snipp.JPG

• 1. Re: My video is cropped- and more so when exported?
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Your Sequence is 1080x1920, which is vertical video like that from a cell phone, while the Output is 1920x1080 which is standard horizontal 16:9 widescreen video.

What is the SOURCE video? How do you wish to deliver? Need to make some workflow decisions.

Thanks

Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My video is cropped- and more so when exported?

Think of the Sequence in Premiere as the foundation of something you are building, like a house. If the size or shape of the foundation doesn't match the floor plan of the house you want to put on top of it, bad things will happen.

Absolutely imperative to begin your project with a correct Sequence Setting or everything will turn bad from there.

One thing that often works well in a new project is to drag a video clip to an empty timeline sequence, and Premiere will tell you if the video doesn't match the sequence and will offer to correct that. Or you can right-click a video clip in the Project Bin and select New Sequence from Clip.

In either case, important that you are using the most common type/size of video clip in the project. Don't start the sequence with some random still image that you downloaded somewhere, or the sequence will be sized to some oddball setting that matches the still image which could be far different than "video" should be.

If you video source is vertically-oriented cell phone video, and you wish to deliver as wide-screen video, then choose a 1920x1080 sequence with appropriate frame rate, and you may need to scale and rotate the video source to fit that window, then export as 1920x1080.

Thanks

Jeff

3 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: My video is cropped- and more so when exported?
              nicksucio Level 1

I understand now it's different but is there a way to change it without restarting the project?
              My footage was shot on a cell-phone but shot horizontally.

• 4. Re: My video is cropped- and more so when exported?

Create a New Sequence with desired settings. In original sequence, use Ctrl-A to Select All, then Ctrl-C to Copy. Then go to new sequence and Paste using Ctrl-V. That will move all edits over to new sequence without altering original sequence.

In the new sequence, you may then need to apply scaling using Adobe Motion to fit video to frame properly. After you get one clip set up, you can right-click and and select Copy, then multi-select other similar clips and choose Paste Attributes to apply same scaling to other clips.

Thanks

Jeff