Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Catalogs?

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In trying to clean up my computer, I noticed what I think are duplicate catalogs, But I'm afraid to delete anything without checking first with you experts out there. It looks like this:

Lightroom 6 Catalog -2 Previews.lrdata

Lightroom 6 Catalog -2 Smart Previews.lrdata

Lightroom 6 Catalog Previews.lrdata

Lightroom 6 Catalog -2.lrcat

Lightroom 6 Catalog .lrcat

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat-journal

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat.lock

Can anyone help me identify what's safe to delete? This folder represents 135 GB's !!

Thank you so much,

Connie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the current open catalog is Lightroom 6 Catalog .lrcat hence the lock file.

What is catalog -2?

When was it last launched?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

conimc  wrote

Hi,

In trying to clean up my computer, I noticed what I think are duplicate catalogs, But I'm afraid to delete anything without checking first with you experts out there. It looks like this:

Lightroom 6 Catalog -2 Previews.lrdata

Lightroom 6 Catalog -2 Smart Previews.lrdata

Lightroom 6 Catalog Previews.lrdata

Lightroom 6 Catalog -2.lrcat

Lightroom 6 Catalog .lrcat

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat-journal

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat.lock

Can anyone help me identify what's safe to delete? This folder represents 135 GB's !!

You (not total strangers here across the internet) have to look inside the catalogs to determine what is safe to delete. We cannot help you there. Only you can make that judgment. Be very very careful before you delete a catalog. To look inside the catalogs, you would use the Lightroom menu command File->Open Catalog.

Instead of deleting the catalog file, you could move it to another disk, just in case it turns out you need it (and delete the previews folder associated with it).

If you choose to delete a catalog, you can also delete the Previews of the same name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wonderful! If I can't determine whether or not to delete it, moving it to another disk will save my bacon if it's wrong. Thank you Dj Page.  I do see now that  the -2.lrcat is what's being used in the version of Lr I'm using. So perhaps I would choose to move the other. I've never had trial versions, so it must be from an update as you indicated Jim, thank you for that. You guys are awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files with a -2 appended to the names is a standard Adobe procedure for renaming files when upgrades are conducted. Is there any chance that at some point you installed a trial version of Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines