2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2018 9:03 AM by vivekk58878436

How to track the click url through data element and pass to Adobe Analytics?

aruns59381014 Level 1

Written following script it's shows the URL in alert but it's not sending any URL to the Adobe Analytics.

jQuery(document).on("click",".lia-search-results-container .page-link, .lia-autocomplete-container .lia-js-autocomplete-list-item-link", function(e){

e.preventDefault();

alert(jQuery(this).attr("href"));

return jQuery(this).attr("href");

})

I am in new in DTM please share the step by step guide

• 1. Re: How to track the click url through data element and pass to Adobe Analytics?
          stewarts16448458 Level 4

Yeah, you're working too hard...

In DTM, the onClick handler is created for you when you create an event rule.

This all happens in the Conditions section of the rule:

Note the event type is "Click" and the Element Tag or Selector is set to "a" indicating that I want to set up a listener for any click on any anchor tag.  You can be as specific or as lax in the CSS selector that you put into this field.

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.34.51 AM.png

In the Actions part of the rule (Adobe Analytics in this case), we can set variables.

Below you'll see two examples.

1) In the AA custom link name, I am using the static text, "Clicked on Anchor - " and using data element syntax "%%" to wrap a reference to the event variable which is always available for DTM event rules.   In this case, I'm pulling the text of the anchor tag by specifying %event.target.text%.

2) For eVar11 I am simply grabbing the href of the anchor tag using %event.target.href%

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.38.11 AM.png

In action, here's what we get:

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.44.47 AM.png

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to track the click url through data element and pass to Adobe Analytics?
            vivekk58878436 Level 1

It works both ways. If you place this in thirdparty JS section, it should be able to bind. But yes, DTM binds links automatically Stewards explained