6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 11:33 PM by toddcromiii

acrobat pop-ups emerge on wrong monitor (the inactive one)

toddcromiii Level 1

When I am using acrobat with a two monitor system, if acrobat pops up a dialog, it often puts it on the wrong monitor (the one on which I am not running acrobat).

It seems acrobat has decided that pop-ups should always go on my second monitor, so if I am running acrobat in a window on that monitor, it is fine (in that, the pop-up comes up on the same monitor I activated the pop-up from).

However, if I am running acrobat on monitor one, and I get a pop-up for any reason, such as reaching the end of the document in a search, or bringing the print dialog with File->Print..., then the pop-up comes up on the second monitor, which is very annoying, as much of the time, I leave that monitor off, or, in any case, I now have to move the pointer way over to the second monitor to answer the dialog, then go back to the first monitor to continue viewing a pdf.

This is so annoying that a viable solution may be for me to stop using acrobat to view PDFs (hmm, anybody recommend good alternatives?)

• 1. Re: acrobat pop-ups emerge on wrong monitor (the inactive one)
          AnandSri Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hello Toddcromiii,

As per the description above, the Print dialog box of Adobe Reader appears on the second monitor, Is that correct?

The dialog box appears on whichever screen contains the "main/primary" window box- that is, the window set as the primary display.

Try rearranging the workspace window from the display setting of your computer and check if this brings any difference.

If the issue persists, reset the Adobe Reader's Preferences once and reboot the machine, to reset the Preferences, refer to the steps mentioned in the article How to reset Acrobat Preference settings to default.

Is it a Mac or Windows machine? What is the dot version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

• 2. Re: acrobat pop-ups emerge on wrong monitor (the inactive one)
            toddcromiii Level 1

It appears on the second monitor, where I am running acrobat on the monitor that is marked "This monitor is currently your main display" in control panel->appearance and personalization->display->screen resolution Windows (thus, I am running windows 7). The version is acrobat reader DC, version 2018.011.20040.

If acrobat pops-up windows on the "main/primary" display, that is suboptimal in my view, as the best choice would be to pop up windows on the same display you are running acrobat on (otherwise the effect is to put the dialog box that you can answer potentially thousands of pixels away from where you activated the pop-up).

I tried moving the preferences directory out of the way as described in the link you posted; no difference.

• 3. Re: acrobat pop-ups emerge on wrong monitor (the inactive one)
              toddcromiii Level 1

swapping the two cables also had no effect. acrobat persistently opens any and all dialog boxes on the second monitor (where that one is arranged in portrait mode and is *not* the one that is "currently my main display" in control panel...screen resolution.

• 4. Re: acrobat pop-ups emerge on wrong monitor (the inactive one)
                AnandSri Adobe Employee (Admin)

please try the steps provided below:

•     Open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and resize the window.
                •     Move it to the main screen and close it.
                •     Now open the application again and maximize the window.
                •     Then close it.

Now check if it opens by default on the main screen.

Let us know if this help.

Thanks,

Anand Sri

• 5. Re: acrobat pop-ups emerge on wrong monitor (the inactive one)
                  toddcromiii Level 1

Thank you for your reply.

I tried exactly the steps you outlined above, with no effect on my problem.

Please note: I am talking about where acrobat opens dialogs like the print dialog, not where acrobat's main window opens when you start acrobat.

• 6. Re: acrobat pop-ups emerge on wrong monitor (the inactive one)
                    toddcromiii Level 1

I have figured out something relevant, perhaps enough of a solution.

The AMD Catalyst program which is used to set advanced options for my displays showed displays 1 and 2 reversed with respect to windows 7 control panel display setup (which showed them as 2 and 1). Fixing this discrepancy (in AMD Catalyst) caused the acrobat windows like print and "end of search" to pop up on the display marked as "main" which is at least a little better (as the main display is the one I have always powered on, at least).

While opening subwindows is at least a defensible behavior, it'd be nice if acrobat had a preference to open sub-windows on the same monitor as acrobat is running on -- that way you would not have to go to the other monitor to answer the dialog. (Where by "other" I mean the monitor that is not displaying the acrobat program).