3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2009 11:43 PM by anpuofeck

Spry

DreamChristine Level 1
      A while back I heard it was a bad idea to put content in something called a frame because search engines do not see that content. So I was wondering if that holds true to the different Spry functions. Sure the Spry functions add spiffy effects and easier navigation, but, it would not be worth it if search engines couldn't recognize the content within them.
        • 1. Re: Spry
          Level 7
          DreamChristine wrote:
          > Sure the Spry functions add
          > spiffy effects and easier navigation, but, it would not be worth it if search
          > engines couldn't recognize the content within them.

Test everything with JavaScript turned off in your browser. That will
          give you a good idea of whether search engines can find Spry content.

A lot of Spry content, such as content in accordions, tabbed panels, and
          collapsible panels, is perfectly visible to search engines. Spry data
          sets are more problematic, particularly if they rely on an XML data
          source. Using an HTML data source is fine, as long as the data source is
          in the same web page as the one that uses the data set.

--
          David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
          "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: Spry
            Level 7
            >A while back I heard it was a bad idea to put content in something called a
            > frame because search engines do not see that content.

That's wrong. Perhaps you misunderstood. There is nothing particularly
            opaque about content in a frame. But there is something perniciously wrong
            with frames in general, one of which is that they are indexed as separate
            searchable pages by search engines. As a result, you could get a link to a
            content frame without its navigation frame being loaded too. Imagine how
            confusing that would be! And thinking about it, that's perhaps what you
            read - not that the contents are not being read, but that they ARE being
            read and indexed.

David has you covered on the other point.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"DreamChristine" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gjgrui$ruq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >A while back I heard it was a bad idea to put content in something called a
            > frame because search engines do not see that content. So I was wondering
            > if
            > that holds true to the different Spry functions. Sure the Spry functions
            > add
            > spiffy effects and easier navigation, but, it would not be worth it if
            > search
            > engines couldn't recognize the content within them.
            >

• 3. Re: Spry
              anpuofeck

"Spry data sets are more problematic, particularly if they rely on an XML data
              source. Using an HTML data source is fine, as long as the data source is
              in the same web page as the one that uses the data set".

--
              David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
              Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
              "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
              http://foundationphp.com/

Happy New Year everyone! Sorry for hijacking your post DreamChristine but I was wondering if David would elaborate on what he means about spry data sets being more problematic? Also, is the spry data set function suitable for commercial sites or more for personal pages etc.?

I am an uber newbie to Dreamweaver and Web site creation so I will thank you in advance for your patients.