10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2008 11:30 AM by Newsgroup_User

PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?

mtaylor
      A developer using a Mac sent us an FLA file with its corresponing class (.as) files. When we attempt to compile a SWF using the FLA, we get actionscript errors. However, if we take the same directory of files and have a Mac user load that same FLA and export it, they don't have the same problem and the SWF exports correctly.

Our machine will still export a SWF, but it is not functioning correctly (given that it outputs errors).

Any idea why this would be happening between Mac and PC users?
        • 1. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
          Level 7
          mtaylor,

> Any idea why this would be happening between Mac and PC users?

Since you mention AS files, it may be that the PC user's installation
          hasn't been configured to look for those files when compiling. Are these
          custom class files? Are they brought into the FLA with the import
          statement, or the include statement?

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
            mtaylor Level 1
            Hi David:

These are custom classes that had been exported as .as files. They reside in the root directory (i.e. the same directory where the FLA is located). They are not referenced via an "import" directive. In any case, both the PC and the MAC correctly detect these .as files in the root and appear to be compling them, except on the PC side it's generating errors and the output SWF doesn't function correctly.

Both the MAC and the PC workstations are pulling their FLA and .as files from the same source DVD we'd burned. So if I physically hand over the DVD to my MAC-using colleague, he's able to copy the folder containing the Flash files, open the FLA and export a fully-functional SWF. But if I take the same DVD, copy the same folder containing Flash files to my desktop, open up the FLA and attempt to compile a SWF, I get a SWF that isn't fully functional and contains compile errors (most of the errors indicate that it detects the .as files, but can't find some of the methods in the class).

I checked the folder and file permissions just to see if maybe that was an issue, but they are all fully readable.

Thanks again for any insight.
            • 3. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
              Level 7
              mtaylor,

> ... if I take the same DVD, copy the same folder containing
              > Flash files to my desktop, open up the FLA and attempt to
              > compile a SWF, I get a SWF that isn't fully functional and
              > contains compile errors (most of the errors indicate that it
              > detects the .as files, but can't find some of the methods in
              > the class).

Are you both publishing to the same version of ActionScript? Are your
              versions of Flash -- on Mac and PC -- the same version? As in, both Flash
              CS3? This has me scratching my head, a bit.

David Stiller
              Adobe Community Expert
              Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/

• 4. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
                mtaylor Level 1
                Hi David:

Both of us have the same version: Flash CS3. We're compiling the SWF for Flash Player 8, using Actionscript 2.0. I'm on a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop and I'm beginning to suspect something screwy there (it runs Windows XP Professional Version 2002 with Service Pack 2 installed). The machine once had CS2, but that was removed after installing CS3.

I'm going to take the DVD home and try it on another PC just to see if it's truly a Windows vs. Mac issue. I'll report back.

Thanks!
                • 5. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
                  Level 7
                  mtaylor,

> I'm going to take the DVD home and try it on another PC
                  > just to see if it's truly a Windows vs. Mac issue. I'll report back.

>
                  > Thanks!
                  >

• 6. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
                    Level 7
                    >> I'm going to take the DVD home and try it on another PC
                    >> just to see if it's truly a Windows vs. Mac issue. I'll report back.

Woops! Butterfingers reply. Yes, that's a good idea. I'm curious to
                    hear what you find. :)

David Stiller
                    Adobe Community Expert

• 7. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
                      mtaylor Level 1
                      Hi David:

The swf compiles fine on my PC at home. I'm mystified. I've not had any problems exporting other swfs; this is the first project in which I've encountered this difficulty.

The only clear differences between my PC at home and the one at work are:

1. At home I use Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, while the PC at work uses Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

2. The PC at home is an HP desktop while the one at work is a Dell laptop

3. There are some exotic fonts required in the FLA (exotic at least to a PC user): Avenir and Zebrawood. I have Zebrawood installed on the laptop. Thinking that might be corrupting it, I set all my font mappings to "_sans" but still got the error.

I'm going to shoot for the dreaded re-install of CS3 and hopefully find success there.

Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
                        Level 7
                        mtaylor,

> I'm going to shoot for the dreaded re-install of CS3 and hopefully
                        > find success there.

Heh ... yeah, that might just be something to try -- because I'm
                        baffled, otherwise. The fonts really shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Good luck with this, for sure!

David Stiller
                        Adobe Community Expert

• 9. PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
                          mtaylor Level 1
                          I found the answer, after uninstalling and re-installing Flash and discovering that didn't work. :)

Turns out that it was all in the Actionscript Object files that Flash generates during compilation. These are stored with an .aso extension. The ASO files are used for caching purposes to expedite the export process.

According to the documentation, Flash detects changes to .as files and then proceeds to update ASO files accordingly. That apparently didn't happen in this case, as it had apparently continued to reference an erroneous ASO file.

Once I selected CONTROL | DELETE ASO FILES AND TEST MOVIE, the swf compiled with no errors.

Hope this helps someone else out there! Here's some more information on ASO files:
                          Using ASO files
                          • 10. Re: PC user can't publish FLA but Mac user can?
                            Level 7
                            mtaylor,

> Once I selected CONTROL | DELETE ASO FILES AND
                            > TEST MOVIE, the swf compiled with no errors.

Ahh, wow! And now that you mention that, your solution makes perfect
                            sense. I'm filing this one away in case another question like yours comes
                            up. Next time, I hope I remember to mention ASO files as a possibility.

Thanks for sharing your solution! Almost guaranteed someone else will
                            benefit from it. :)

David Stiller
                            Adobe Community Expert