• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Help] Weird glitch when trying to make proxies with Media Encoder.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First a little about my system and my footage. I have an i7-7700k with a GTX 1050 and 16GB of Ram.

The footage that I'm working in is in MKV Format the Codec exactly is (MPEG-H Part2/HEVC H.265). The resolution is 720x480 and the frame rate is 29.970628. It's 20 minutes long.

When I put that file into Premiere, playback was very slow/sluggish/non-existent. It was unusable for editing.

At first I thought that it was because Premiere doesn't accept MKV so i re-muxed it into MP4. However, the problem persisted and I found out that Premiere does accept MKV after all.

Then I did some more research and found out that the most likely culprit for the sluggishness is the fact that the video is encoded in HVEC which is a highly compressed codec. That probably explains why the audio worked perfectly in playback but the video was completely broken.

So it seems like I had two options. Transcode the file into h.264 using some converter I found on the internet. Now this "fixes" the problem in so that I can smoothly edit this new transcoded file but it's extremely lossy to the point of introducing weird line and artifacts to the originally low resolution file.

So what I want to do instead is to try making proxies out of the original file and editing with that since it should be a lot quicker and it will preserve all of the quality that is in the source file.

So I started up Media Encoder and create a new injest preset following a tutorial. The proxy is a Quicktime Format Cineform file with a 29.97 framerate and 1280x720 resolution.

Here is the problem. When I let Media Encoder run it seems to be creating the proxy just fine for the first 15 seconds or so. It converts/encodes/whatever the first 5 minutes of footage or so perfectly. Then it hits some sort of bug or glitch.  However, after around the 5 minute mark or so, the video portion loops back to the beginning while the audio portion keeps going.

So in the final proxefied file, like at minute 15, it's the audio for minute 15 but the video for minute 5. I tried both trancoding it to GoPro Cineform and h.264. It just keeps looping a random amount of the first 5 minutes for the entire video.

The problem persists. I can even see it start to loop in the output preview of media encoder. I've tried many different files and the problem persists. Does anyone know what is happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Natantantan,

Try converting the file in Handbrake or the like. Check the settings to see if you can get better results. You can also upvote this feature request: To add support for .mkv or Matroska video format – Adobe video & audio apps

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Natantantan,

Try converting the file in Handbrake or the like. Check the settings to see if you can get better results. You can also upvote this feature request: To add support for .mkv or Matroska video format – Adobe video & audio apps

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines