• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! Image Resolution Problems

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get images set up for a relator I am editing for. The images are required to be at 4:3 ratio, 300 dpi, and at least 3072x2304. I want to set up an automated batch once I can figure out how to get all three completed. I can get the ratio and the dpi but it puts the image at 1200x900. Help, what do I do? I am on a deadline. I need to know how to up the resolution while making it that ratio and dpi. I am using the newest version of Photoshop CC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
If your image is taken with only 1200x900 pixels then you would need to interpolate - but that does not add any detail at all it just adds "in between" pixels which will soften the image.

This needs to be in three stages.

1. Start with an image with more than/equal to 3072x2304 pixels.
2. Crop it to the 4x3 ratio

3. In Image >Image Size set the resolution to 300ppi without resampling (i.e. uncheck resample)

If you do not have a starting image with the 3072x2304 pixel minimum then you can use Photoshop Image size to increase the number of image pixels (by checking resample and using Preserve Details 2.0 as the algorithm)  but you are not really meeting the requirements of the realtor. The the minimum pixel size is set to ensure that sufficient detail is contained in the image for its intended use. Using resample to interpolate pixels and create a larger size does not add detail. It just spreads existing detail over more pixels.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I compress the image to 4:3, instead of cutting off the excess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If your image is currently in a different aspect ratio to 4:3 then making it 4:3 gives you two choices

1. Distort it i.e. compress horizontal or vertical. You can do that with free transform and it looks OK on some images but for realtor pictures you do not want stretched looking images of property.

2. Crop it i.e. throw some part of the picture away.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would you do the first option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Crop without deleting cropped pixels (uncheck "Delete cropped pixels" in the option bar) then select all layers and Edit>Transform>Distort

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more    question. I do need to distort the image a bit. However, I keep trying to get the 4:3 ratio and I cannot seem to get it to do it at all. I have tried to transform and resize the image. I can get it in the image resize but them I loose the 3072x2304. Please help I am on a deadline. They are getting frustrated with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What pixel dimensions are you starting with, and what do you need to end up with? When you resize something your pixel dimensions will change.

Content Aware scale only works on a layer. I think you are getting the bounding rectangle empty warning because you haven’t selected a layer. Do you know how to transform a layer? Content Aware scale works pretty much the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using Content aware scale to change the proportions of the image. Find it under the edit menu. This has to be done to a layer, not the document. It would help to put guidelines in your image first so you can tell what proportions you are scaling to. Crop the layer down after you scale it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, is there any way you could be more specific how to do this? It is saying that the initial bonding rectangle is empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends on what image quality you are trying to achieve.

Distorting or interpolating raster images is not the best thing to do, generally speaking. But if you need to match each and every file format request, you should definitely go for one of them; this if you cannot retake the photos, of course.

However, what is the starting file resolution of the files? And are all the same resolution? Is there any chance you have mistaken the crop settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I do not know how to transform one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What pixel dimensions are your images to start? And what pixel dimensions are you trying to make them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines