• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change automatically the frame sizes?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I have a lot of fractions (.eps) in my document that i want to "crop" the border, actually change the frame size.

and I want to do it with a shortcut, it that possible?

BeforeAfter
Captura de Tela 2018-06-19 às 18.39.05.pngCaptura de Tela 2018-06-19 às 18.33.07.png

I saw this vídeo but each fraction has a different width and I need to change the frame size width for "-2mm" according to the current width of the fraction.

There's another way? some script ou plugin?...

Thank you so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - cntrl-alt-c should do this for you once you've placed and selected the image.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Malcolm, thanks for the answer, but it's more complex than that.

The content inside of the frames, has a natural "white border". The fractions were made in MathType, and if I press Ctrl+alt+c, the frame fit in the content and the white border will still be there.

I'm trying to do an automatic method that change the frame to a specific size, in this case, -2 mm.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be scripted. Here's a example AppleScript (OSX only), that will loop thru the doc and get all placed EPS files and set their parent frames to 2mm. For a different width change the number in line 1. Without knowing much about your document it's hard to know if you'll run into errors—make sure you test on a copy.

set thewidth to 2

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2018"

tell active document

set properties of view preferences to {horizontal measurement units:millimeters, vertical measurement units:millimeters}

repeat with x in all graphics

if class of x is EPS then

tell parent of x

fit given frame to content

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds

set w to d - b

set woffset to (w - thewidth) / 2

set geometric bounds to {a, b + woffset, c, d - woffset}

end tell

end if

end repeat

end tell

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rob, thanks for the answer.

I confess that i have some difficulty to use scripts, I'll study how to execute them and i'll return.

But again, thanks.

Bruno.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed from your post#1 capture your PS is Windows. My script is AppleScript and would only work with OSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rob,

Bruno, our OP, is saying:

The content inside of the frames, has a natural "white border". The fractions were made in MathType, and if I press Ctrl+alt+c, the frame fit in the content and the white border will still be there.

So a script cannot know where the contents starts and ends by only checking e.g. the BoundingBox property of the PostScript code. At least I think this would not be reliable.

So a script should really render a version of this EPS in PhotoShop with a high enough effective resolution, reads out the drawing pixels, this would be a selection of the contents in PhotoShop and meassures the size of the selection and the position within the overall size of the image. With the numerical results recorded the script will head back to InDesign and will crop the EPS' holding frame to the results gained with PhotoShop.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brunolimax  wrote

… The fractions were made in MathType, and if I press Ctrl+alt+c, the frame fit in the content and the white border will still be there.

Hi Bruno,

by using EPS you have no chance to place the visible contents as bounding box.

I guess a script could do it that would open the EPS in PhotoShop, renders the contents to pixels, measures position and size of the virtual rectangle that surrounds all drawing pixels and uses this result to crop the EPS with InDesign.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! If i open the .eps in another program, i can't reopen on the mathtype!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I want to do it with a shortcut, it that possible?

And if you wanted to do them individually via an assigned key command this might work when the EPS (not its frame) selected:

set thewidth to 2

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2018"

tell active document

set properties of view preferences to {horizontal measurement units:millimeters, vertical measurement units:millimeters}

set s to item 1 of selection

if class of s is EPS then

tell parent of s

fit given frame to content

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds

set w to d - b

set woffset to (w - thewidth) / 2

set geometric bounds to {a, b + woffset, c, d - woffset}

end tell

else

display dialog "Please Select an EPS and not its Frame"

end if

end tell

end tell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruno,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure of a shortcut for this. Just a thought...have you tried using text frame options > auto-size? I put the size of the average width of the box -2 mm and it seemed to work OK on my end.

If not, I would try that. If it doesn't work and the script doesn't work then you might be in for a long and manual process of setting them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be as "automatic" but why not just copy and paste the image box that is already sized correctly and then replace the previous image with the new one? The size and position would be fairly close but the box frame would already set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines