Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Style Distortion

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

im a bit new to Photoshop but i enjoy using it as a hobby...a couple of months a go i purchased  some font styles and they worked fine and looked beautiful. Now i try and use them and they are distorted almost as if Photoshop keeps the last setting every time i change a style...Sorry im not sure how ells to describe it.

here is an example

Capture.JPG

the top image is applied by opening the PSD & copying the style & pasting it on the font , the 2nd image is by load the style and applying it(they are both the same styles)...how can i fix this? it didnt do this before.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

The image you provided has a resolution of 72ppi.

If you change it to 300ppi (Image > Image Size with »Resample« unchecked) and apply the Style from the Styles Panel again does it look as expected?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Styles are applied?

What are the Pattern Overlay settings for the two?

(Please post screenshots instead of trying to type them up.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top image

1-1.JPG

Bottom image

2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just look at the Scale percentage value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand that the #s are different and i have to change them...but im not sure why they change if the style is preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

these are not the only values that change...

inner shadow

inner glow

stain

etc.

they all change for some reason...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image’s resolution and what is the resolution of the image that you copied the Style from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SAian6ByxQP1AjuL2ple43m8g6WBz2AU/view?usp=sharing

that's the test PSD link so you can see it...the canvas size 1020x1080 and the font is @ 300

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not ask about the pixel dimensions but about the resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler is guiding you in the right direction. I will try to give you technical explanation. Document resolution matters when saving and applying layer styles because when applying layer style Photoshop will automatically scale layer effects based on the difference in resolutions of the document from which is style saved and document in which style is applied.

For example: when someone saves layer style from the document with 300ppi resolution with Pattern Overlay set to 100%, Photoshop will capture info about document resolution and scale percentage. If you apply same layer style in the document with 72 resolution then Photoshop will automatically scale Pattern Overlay to 24% (I believe without checking).

Here is my recent blog post which is trying to explain things with more details and more screenshots https://www.designeasy.co/2018/06/when-things-go-wrong-with-layer-styles.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that something i didn't know...thank your for the response and the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend undertaking a simple experiment:

Create a Layer Style Stroke with a 10px Stroke in a file with 300ppi and save it.

Then create a new file with 72ppi and apply the Layer Style to a Layer.

Does the result look different when viewed at View > 100%?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok ill try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image you provided has a resolution of 72ppi.

If you change it to 300ppi (Image > Image Size with »Resample« unchecked) and apply the Style from the Styles Panel again does it look as expected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it fixed the issue! awesome thank you....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines