• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A Tool PS has needed for YEARS! Please add.

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tool has been something that has been needed for years. Correl painter had a similar tool to this. On the technical end. I'm not sure how PS would do it. But I'm not here to discuss the technical. I'm here as a 10+ year professional user of PS. A digital painter mainly. Whom has desired a tool of this caliber. I think many artists and designers would benefit from.

We need the ability to take a created asset. Like a painted piece of grass. Turn that clump of Grass into a pattern. Then have brush capability's to paint that pattern of grass and create strokes direction ally that varies that. This is a quick example of how this tool could do WONDERS for people. As a visual person. I figured it would be best for me to create an image that better explains the desired effect.

PATTERN_BRUSH_PLEASE.png

Essentially what were looking at is. The designer can take a shape. A PNG. A image. Then save it as a pattern. Which we can currently do in PS. But we cant do anything unique with that pattern once it is created other then lay it back down as a pattern. This tool that I'm dubbing "Pattern Brush" is a tool which lets you paint your saved pattern. So if you created a pattern of the American flag for example. Where you place your pen down. Starts pressure sensitivity on the left side of the pen. As you stroke the pen. Its stretches the flag along your brush. Then when you release it tapers off the end of your pattern.

This tool would allow so many capability's for Users and designers. I again have wanted this for YEARS. Never thinking to post anything about this. As I assumed sooner or later the Pattern clone stamp tool or something would get a feature. But years later I'm realizing that maybe were not going to get this tool. Because PS doesn't realize how vitally amazing this tool would be for users.

I took some time out of my working day to come by and BEG you PS. Please put a team on this. If you drop this in the near future. On top of everything you just released like Smoothing brush features and Brush organization (could be used for styles and gradients) You would be making so many digital painters/designers lives better.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Best regards,

A dedicated user.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I think you would be better off posting your request over on the Adobe Feedback forum

Photoshop | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to get a post up in there tomorrow. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Travis!

Looks really familiar to the Mixer Brush Tool Paint with the Mixer Brush in Photoshop , maybe you want have the same flexibility but if you fiddle around maybe you can get the same result, also an helpful video here: Paint like a Master in Photoshop CC | Adobe Creative Cloud - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no. It is nothing like the Mixer brush tool. Unless I've been using the mixer brush wrong over the years. Take a look at corels version of what I'm talking about. Take a look at these videos. Its a bit different but very close to what I'm saying. Your putting a pattern in. It can be full colored and then you can adjust perimeters with the brush.

Working with Corel Painter Pattern Pens with Don Seegmiller - YouTube

Corel Painter Media contrils patterns pen settings - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially there is a way as well to make your pattern and instead of painting the pattern to run with it as well. You can paint just the 1 fragment of the pattern and it will warp and bend to your stroke. So again if you made your pattern segment a flag for example. You then can paint that flag and it will stretch it. Or you can set it to pattern and paint a constant string of flags that follow your brush. Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Illustrator or just the Photography package?

In Illustrator, you can make an Art Brush out of a raster image and paint with it. It may be close to what you are trying to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I've used it before. Its similar but not a feature that benifit's me really as a full time digital illustrator/Concept artist. My whole work flow is based around moving fast. Having to jump back and forth between two programs to try to achieve an effect that seems like it should just be a PS compatible brush. I mean they have the ability to make brushes. Now smooth out strokes. Make patterns and save them in a pattern file. Just Make a brush that applies those patterns and lets you paint them with pressure sensitivity. How hard cant that be? Its all there just not functional. In the mean time if I want to get this effect. I have to go threw rigorous transform to warp or even liquify. Which eats away at a fast moving. High flow process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think travis has a good idea here. Not that I need it myself, but it makes good sense as described. This is a good feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I think a lot of people would find a ton of great ways to use this from silly fun to high end professional work. I know for me I could use this kind of a brush in SO many ways. Like I said. I'm coming here thinking about this thing after years of not having it and saying to my self. Maybe they will release something like this one day. I'm here with a request or suggestion based on someone who has been using PS for digital painting and designing since CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines