• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem with Acrobat and "Works" versus "Word"

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several weeks ago, I was looking at my “installed programs,” and there appeared to be 2 that were identical… so (thinking that one of them was an unnecessary duplicate) I deleted one of them.  The one that is remaining is “Adobe Acrobat Reader DC”  18.011.20040   

Apparently, I should not have done the deletion.   When I access my documents, it still says that I have a “free Document Cloud account,”  but the PDFs now look different, as though they are in the old-style Microsoft Works, as opposed to the Microsoft Office Word. 

I tried re-downloading  Acrobat, but it is asking for a “serial number.”   Yet, I don’t know anything about a “serial number.”   I’ve been using this free “Document Cloud account” with no problems for YEARS! 

Can you help me?

I have the following:   “Windows-7 Home Premium” (64 bit); “Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007” ;   “HP Pavilion dv6-Notebook PC.”

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have an acrobat subscription?

an adobe service?

if you're not sure, check your account, https://accounts.adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked the adobe link that you listed, and then signed in to my account.  It doesn't show that I've ever paid for any Adobe subscriptions.  However, until a few weeks ago, I've been using this free “Document Cloud account” with no problems for YEARS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "free document cloud account" is NOT software. It's an account. Some files to share. I rather fear you may have deleted software costing hundreds of dollars with no way to get it back, but let's see what we can find out.

What can you remember about this lost software? Version? Name? Age? Features? Please give specific details, it's no use just comparing to Word or Works. What could you do? What could you click?

Oh, and HOW did you delete it? Was it an Uninstall in Control Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate your help.  I am age 66 and not all that “computer savvy.”  

When I said that I deleted it, I should have said that I used the Control Panel to Uninstall it.

The one that I uninstalled, appeared to be labeled identically to the one that remains:   Adobe Acrobat Reader DC  18.011.20040

I seem to be able to do everything now that I could before (create docs & pdfs, and still able to VIEW the docs & pdfs created months & years ago).   The ONLY difference seems to be that all the new & old docs appear as “Works” instead of “Word.”   This problem began several weeks ago, following years of no such problem on this computer.

Sorry, but I think that’s about all that I know to tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that means nothing to me. Works does a similar job to Word but can do much less. Please try to explain again without referring to Works or Word. Is it just arranged differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks anyway for trying to help!  By the way, since I "uninstalled it" on with the Control Panel, is it still somewhere in my computer where it could be re-installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that. It ends up saying that it's already been installed.  I'm wondering whether the problem is that perhaps something has gone wrong with my "Office 2007," which I've been successfully using for years (and can still use).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you double click a pdf, what program opens?

if it's not reader, check your default progrm preferences.  (use google)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I double-click a pdf, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC opens.  I seem to have a virus... maybe that's what' causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines