• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolution conflict in photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm new to photoshop and have a dilemma. A graphic I'm creating for social media needs to be specific dimensions. As part of the design, I'm using cut-out photos of pets and also specially created offer icons that were done separately.

The issue I'm having is that the offer icons are losing quality when they are reduced in size to fit my graphic. Ideally, I would create a larger graphic than needed in the same ratio, but the pet images aren't high res enough for that - taken on smartphones.

Any advice on how I can make this come together? The same icons have been used before for social media banners by a graphic designer so I know it can be done.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clared93509311  wrote

The same icons have been used before for social media banners by a graphic designer so I know it can be done.

Hi

I could be wrong but I'd imagine the original icons were created in a vector based application like Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could be right. They were supposed to be created to overlay on different kinds of promotional material which would be used by non-designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a link to where you downloaded them from

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clared93509311  wrote

The issue I'm having is that the offer icons are losing quality when they are reduced in size to fit my graphic. Ideally, I would create a larger graphic than needed in the same ratio, but the pet images aren't high res enough for that - taken on smartphones.

I would think that any smart phone camera would capture more pixels then any Icon image the you create would have.  Icon files dimensions in pixels are usually quite limited.  They do not have the many pixels to store fine image details.  Therefor ICON image do not have a lot detail you will not see lines of text in a normal icon image you would need to have an abnormally large icon to be able to read lines of text in an icon you need to have lots of pixels to display fine details like text or stray hairs. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the resolution you are taking pictures on your Smart Phone.  It might be at a low setting.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and my wife a Samsung Galaxy Edge S6..... both of our cameras take fine photos and we can even take photos in RAW format.

It might be that you need to first adjust your settings on your cell phone.

If you are using an older cell phone to take photos, then the resolution might not be that great.

Look at your setting first on your cell phone's camera.  Then let us know what the settings are set to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's lots of different cell phones. Basically, people take pics of their pets and share them so we have no control of the pics. I just try to pick the ones that look better quality! I really need the original pictures though as I'm doing it via social media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your input. It's made me realise that the issue is actually with the workflow and how I’m receiving the images. The pet photo was 540 x 960 at 72 dpi as I’m receiving them via social media. When the background is removed, the quality is reduced even further. For it to work, I need the original high res photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines