Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked Graphics Require Constant Update

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InDesign Community,

After recently updating to the latest version of InDesign 2018, I began having trouble with linked graphics requiring updates, even though the files were not changed. Both the InDesign ad layout files and the graphics typically reside on a server for most of our small group workflow. Suspecting some server process unknown to me, I checked file modification dates and found them unchanged. I moved both the ID file and graphics to my local iMac drive and had the same problem.

This happens to different documents. It also will happen both when I re-open a document, or actually during a work session on a document! That is, I will update the links and they may almost immediately indicate that they need to be updated again.

If I export to PDF without updating the links, the resulting file will indeed look low rez, as if the links were broken.

I've tried recreating preferences as indicated by this post, and it did not solve the issue.

CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences

I manage a small work group, and the problem exists on two of our four iMacs. All running OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Any suggestions, insights, questions, etc, gladly accepted!

Thank you,

Steve in L.A.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Hi,

are you working with Universal Type Client 6.1.6 ?

Maybe that's the problem:

Re: Links status perpetually set to "Modified"

Also see into this:

Universal Type Client and Adobe InDesign - Links have been modified and need updating

Issue

When opening a file in InDesign, users are prompted with a message that links have been modified or modified outside of the application. "This document contains links to sources that have been modified. You can update the links now, or update them later using the l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'll try to answer you with an idea that comes to me! I am French, and so the screenshot comes from a document of Indesign Secrets.

I think the file preferences settings are not the right ones.

We have to compare them with the Macs that work and see what would be ticked or not.

Capture d’écran 2018-06-23 à 01.00.26.png

And why reset preferences as shown in this link

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

For linked graphics

Manage linked or embedded graphics in Adobe InDesign

I hope it will help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, CIA_design.

I am finding that the preferences, especially on the File Handling page you sent, are all the same, for Mac working and not.

The problem seems to be less constant now. I am going to see if it comes back full force as it was. If so, I will try the Preferences replacement method you have sent to me.

Best regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

are you working with Universal Type Client 6.1.6 ?

Maybe that's the problem:

Re: Links status perpetually set to "Modified"

Also see into this:

Universal Type Client and Adobe InDesign - Links have been modified and need updating

Issue

When opening a file in InDesign, users are prompted with a message that links have been modified or modified outside of the application. "This document contains links to sources that have been modified. You can update the links now, or update them later using the links panel."

https://help.extensis.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005410534

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Uwe! We are indeed using UTC 6.1.6. I will investigate those links, it looks like we have a prime suspect.

All the best,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I followed the full procedure of deleting the Extensis UTC 6.1.6 and installing the 6.1.5 version and so far not a hint of the problem. I'm marking Uwe's suggestion the correct answer and I thank you both very much.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines