• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Save As' dialog appears on each save of PSD

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on some of my photos for the first time in a while in Photoshop CC 2018 and whenever I press Command+S on my mac or try to Save from the File menu a 'Save As...' dialog window pops up. I can't figure out what the problem is. When I first open a PSD document, the first save works fine but each successive save brings up the Save As window and I end up having to press Replace.

I'm not sure if it could be related to the file/folder permissions; the files are stored locally on my drive in my Documents folder and i have checked that folder and its contents have default permissions. I have tried resetting preferences for Photoshop to their defaults but that didn't change anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Try disabling plugins and that may fix it!

I decided to check what plugins might have been creating this effect and I managed to figure it out. In my case it was Suitcase Fusion's plug in for photoshop that was causing it. I disabled it and it worked. There was then an update for it which seemed to fix the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is not a file editor.  Photoshop edits Documents.   If you open a flat image file like a  jpeg, Png, Gif, etc and you add additional layers and you CMD+S Photoshop will switch to Save as to give you the ability to save your added layers not just a single composite layer.  If before you use the CMD+S shortcut you did a flatten or merge all layers into single layer  CMD+S would most likely save a Jpeg, Png, Gif.  Like the flat image file you open to get the current document into Photoshop.

If you had opened a layerd Photoshop file like a PSD file CMD+S would most likely save a PSD file not open a Save AS dialog.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening in PSDs as I mentioned above. I’m well aware that adding layers to flattened files would cause the dialog to appear but this is happening to existing PSD Files that I am making changes to. So It definitely feels like some sort of bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your Preferences if  Ctrl+S (Save) is not working for you.  Here I opened a PSD on my Windows 10 CC 2018 19.1.5 Workstation.  I added 5 Layers and did a Ctrl+S added two more layers and did a second Ctrl+S.  Each time I use the save shortcut the PSD was saved there was no save as dialog. The History palette just  mays the last add layer (save).

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea, like I’d mentioned at the beginning, I tried resetting the preferences and that didn’t change anything. Thanks though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your files jpegs? As soon as you add any layers to the document you can no longer do a simple Command S for save, because jpegs can’t have layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not JPEGs. This is happening on all existing PSDs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the permissions are set incorrectly for the folder where the PSD resides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be it but i checked it and compared to similar folders but it didn’t seem Any different.  I’ll have to try moving the files elsewhere a little later and see if the behaviour happens again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I've checked offending folder settings (all are read and write enabled), and it is PSD files, not jpgs or other originally layer-less files. Any new insights would be much appreciated. It's really hinders productivity to have to save as every time while working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling plugins and that may fix it!

I decided to check what plugins might have been creating this effect and I managed to figure it out. In my case it was Suitcase Fusion's plug in for photoshop that was causing it. I disabled it and it worked. There was then an update for it which seemed to fix the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to Photoshop 2019, this issue is now happening on our Macs.

On opening a layered .psd file and performing some straightforward photo-editing tasks, the first save (command-S) behaves as expected (i.e., the file is just saved, without the need for a dialogue box) but the second save (command-S) always brings up the 'Save as' dialogue box.

Resetting prefs makes no difference.

We do run Suitcase (latest version: Fusion 9) with the auto-activate plug-ins for the Adobe suite, so maybe that's causing the issue but if it's already been a problem that Extensis have previously fixed with a patch, it seems unlikely that it should occur again with a newer version of their software. I don't really want to have to disable the auto-activation plug-in, as this was one of the chief reasons that we bought into Extensis font management in the first place!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem and disabling Extensis plug-in does not solve it. Installing PS2019 is what started the problem, but it now also effects PS2018. Let's you save normally only the first time. And then every subsequent save you are forced into "save as" dialog box to replace the file. over and over again. Not just the key command S. Same thing happens if you select "save" from the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a new Suitcase Fusion update ( 20.0.1 (7783)) solved this issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines