• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC 2018 & Windows 10: do drive letters matter?

Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Windows, and just realized the external drive I've been using for a project, with all clips, has been getting assigned different letters by the OS. Just checked, and Premiere thinks the clips are in an "I" drive, but actually now it's an "H" drive. But clips are labeled "online" in Premiere.

So does Premiere figure this out and always find the drive? Will try to keep the drive letter the same now, but just wondering if it's a non-issue at this point or not.

In a current project, my clips show status of "online, but the path of many of my proxies leads to wrong drive letter; I want to be sure that all proxies are properly connected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Drive letters matter.  They're part of the file name.

That's partly why I recommend only using externals for backup and archiving.  Run your projects exclusively from internal drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drive letters matter.  They're part of the file name.

That's partly why I recommend only using externals for backup and archiving.  Run your projects exclusively from internal drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim.

Windows does an automatic assignment of drives called something like 'cascading something or other' .. so one day you can put an external drive or media storage thing into a USB 3 port, and it will have one drive letter, and the next day it could have a different one (if you took it off and put it back on ).

That drive letter becomes part of your PATH to the files you want to use, so if it's different than when you started project in PPro, then the software doesn't know where it is. You can look for it in PPro ( find media ) and find it that way but it's sorta annoying.

Hence, put stuff on internal drives so it's always in same place.

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also open up "Disk Management" Type this in your local search or windows menu or RUN it:

diskmgmt.msc

This will give you a screen where you can (right-click) on a drive and assign it a drive letter, then each time that hard-drive is on or turned on, it will be given that drive letter. Use the higher letters, suggesting J and above and don't assign the same drive letter to different drives (while another one is off, unless of course you understand the ramifications), etc...

Here's a google search for you:

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+disk+management&rlz=1C1YQLS_enUS755US755&oq=windows+10+di...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines