3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 5:15 PM by kglad

load xml into mc symbols

DigitalUprising
      I'm new to incorporating xml into my flash. I've used components that do all the linking for me, but have never tried doing the code myself. My project is a simple slide show, that has transitions on the timeline that are very important to the project. I have created an image holder movie clip symbol which is the same size as my images. I have created the slideshow using multiple instances (each with its own instance name slide01, slide02, etc) of this holder. All I want to do is load the .jpg files in from an xml file to populate the holder files before run time. I have gotten the code to work for the first image, but none of the others will populate. I am attempting to load the xml data into an array, then pull from the array to populate the mc symbols. I modified the code I found in a tutorial. Please help!
        • 1. Re: load xml into mc symbols
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you need movieclips slide01,...slide10 to exist when that code executes.

to see your loaded images those jpgs will need to be in the same directory as your embedding html (or swf if you're testing in the flash test environment) and your slide movieclips will need to be visible (and not covering one another).
          • 2. Re: load xml into mc symbols
            DigitalUprising Level 1

Thank you so much kglad. I appreciate it very much, you are awesome.

Your post was exactly correct. This probably isn't the best way to achieve my goal, but what I did was put all the instances in the first frame where the code is executed and I just knocked the alpha down to 0% until I'm ready for them. Would it have worked if I had just put a keyframe containing the code in the frames I introduce the next images? Not that it matters because using the alpha seems to be working just fine.

Thanks again.
            • 3. Re: load xml into mc symbols
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              you're welcome.

and i don't understand, "Would it have worked if I had just put a keyframe containing the code in the frames I introduce the next images?".