6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 5:38 AM by WarDemonZ

Saving details

WarDemonZ Level 1
      Greetings all, im half way through making a prototype of my fitness program, the content and things like that are fine and even how to do the scripting inside it should be no real problem, basically the program should be able to save detail like the obvious thing, name, age, username, password etc, and iv already received help on how to do passwords, but its more a case of where the details get stored, i was originally planning on using the getPrefs etc to do it, but after speaking with my supervisor i was told to look into either fileIO or using a web server to store the details, then the program could call the data from there and for example, check if a users log in name matched their password etc. the main problem is that im useless when it comes to server stuff and that side of the internet, im willing to learn as i think that side of it would make my program more robust, but i also dont want to get in over my head.

i was wondering what method you would recommend for this kind of procedure and possibly just as importantly if you know of any websites/books with tutorials to follow on how to do it.

as a smaller but less important notes, what would be the easiest method of making drop down menus, iv checked the forum before, downloaded buddymenu and something else but iv not tried them yet, is there a very basic way of doing it without plug ins? and finally can director email people? for example if a user forgets their password could it email them?

thanks greatly for any help or advice anyone can give

Moza
        • 1. Re: Saving details
          Level 7
          > i was wondering what method you would recommend for this kind of procedure and
          > possibly just as importantly if you know of any websites/books with tutorials
          > to follow on how to do it.

< http://www.shocknet.org.uk/index.asp>

> as a smaller but less important notes, what would be the easiest method of
          > making drop down menus, iv checked the forum before, downloaded buddymenu and
          > something else but iv not tried them yet, is there a very basic way of doing it
          > without plug ins?

Check the Library Palette -> Controls -> Dropdown List behavior

> and finally can director email people?

gotoNetPage("mailto:name@domain.com") is one possibility. There are lots
          of xtras:
          < http://www.updatestage.com/MileHighTableOfProducts/products.shtml>
          • 2. Re: Saving details
            Applied CD Level 1
            For storing data on the web you may want to look at the following post, you may also want to investigate the v12 xtra. That having been said, at least in my opinion, storing user data on the web, while it may sound like a cool idea, is going to be vastly more complex (read time consuming and expensive) vs storing data locally using something like FileIO or BuddyAPI.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=187&threadid=1341973

For emailing: gotoNetPage("mailto:name@domain.com") is easy and doesn’t require any xtras but it spawns a blank browser window in addition to the email client which you might not like. BuddyAPI’s baOpenURL will do the same thing without spawning the browser window. I’ve also used DLLbinder with a MAPI dll which is cool but only works if you’re 100% certain your user base will have a MAPI compliant email client (ie: Outlook, Outlook Express, and maybe some clones). Note however, in all of these case all you’re doing is launching the email client and spawning an email form and possibly pre-populating some of the fields … which means you’ll be showing the password in the message body, what you are probably looking for is a transparent email which none of the solutions above can implement*…

To implement the familiar emailed password you see on some websites I think you’re either going to need an xtra (if Director is emailing) or a server script if the data is stored remotely. For a Director xtra solution I found directEmail easy to use and capable but there are others. If you are using an ASP server solution you can read up on CDONTS and/or CDOSYS for email. You don’t need a lot of ASP experience to get something like that to work, I put together a project a few years back where Director sent data to an ASP server and the server constructed the email and sent it out. I got most of the ASP code I needed from Google searches. If your server is PHP or Cold Fusion I can’t help you much except to say there are probably direct equivalents to the ASP components.

*Strictly speaking the MAPI solution can email transparently but it throws all sorts of security warnings so it’s not very useful in that capacity.
            • 3. Re: Saving details
              davidsetiabudi Level 1
              Dear Sean,

I have tried your link
              < http://www.updatestage.com/MileHighTableOfProducts/products.shtml>
              < http://www.shocknet.org.uk/index.asp>
              but it's "THE PAGE CAN'T BE FOUND"

• 4. Re: Saving details
                Level 7
                > I have tried your link
                > < http://www.updatestage.com/MileHighTableOfProducts/products.shtml>
                > < http://www.shocknet.org.uk/index.asp>
                > but it's "THE PAGE CAN'T BE FOUND"

Try again - they both work for me.
                • 5. Re: Saving details
                  WarDemonZ Level 1
                  hey, thanks for the replys guys, iv been trying some different things that uv suggested im probably not gonna try the mailing idea, i had a go but i dont think its for me im just gonna do the simpler method and save myself some time.

i managed to find how to use the drop down lists, another possibility i was thinking of thou is, is it possible to make the drop down from one, change the entries inside another. for example im doing a fitness program, so say one drop down has something like exercise (treadmill, bicep etc) then depending on what is chosen in the first itll change to say either time run, or reps done, can that be done using the dropdown behaviour in the library?

also in reference to the links that dont work, if you look its also including the '>' in the link name, all u have to do is remove that when u click on it, and it goes to the rite place
                  • 6. Re: Saving details
                    WarDemonZ Level 1
                    also with the drop downs, is there anyway of making it only have a set length, cos iv put them in for the DOB fields, but for the day and year fields, the drop down is enormous and takes up much more than the normal page, it does automatically put in the scrolling bar if its bigger than the page, but i could do with making it a custom size