7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2018 7:13 AM by cmgap

Adding color labels to folders

dgoc571

I am using Windows 10 with the latest version of Lightroom Classic

I have a folder named MyPictures - inside that folder are folders that are named with the date pictures are taken. So I have probably a hundred folders in MyPictures.  I want to add color labels to each, but I only see one folder in MyPictures and it's the folder with the current catalog

So HOW do I view ALL folders?  If I can't see ALL folders then adding color labels is a USELESS feature!

Any help would be very nice as I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere!

Thank you,

Don Gordon

• 1. Re: Adding color labels to folders
          WobertC Adobe Community Professional

I have a folder named MyPictures - inside that folder are folders that are named with the date pictures are taken. So I have probably a hundred folders in MyPictures.

So do you see all those folders in the Folders Panel of Lightroom?

Have you actually imported photos into Lightroom from those "hundred" folders?

I want to add color labels to each, but I only see one folder in MyPictures and it's the folder with the current catalog.

Do your photos get stored in the catalog folder?

You can add a color label to each, but why would you? It is a means to limit the view of folders by filtering.

You can select multiple folders ( Ctrl+click, or Click>Shift+click) to add the same color label.

So HOW do I view ALL folders?  If I can't see ALL folders then adding color labels is a USELESS feature!

Are you expanding the folder tree to show sub-folders? Are you scrolling down the folder panel?

Not useless!- Useful to limit the folders in the Folder Panel to those marked with a color label.

Show us some screen-clips to illustrate what you see in Lightroom.

eg. a Right-click to add a color label-

ScreenShot234.jpg

eg. CLicking the magnifier (filter options) to view only 'Labeled Folders'-

ScreenShot235.jpg

eg. The 'limited filtered' view of folders showing only those with a color label-

ScreenShot236.jpg

• 2. Re: Adding color labels to folders
            dgoc571 Level 1

I have the parent folder "my pictures" and under that should be a hundred folders at least but there is ONLY one folder - HOW do I view all the folders?

thanks for helping!

• 3. Re: Adding color labels to folders
              dgoc571 Level 1

part of your answer you state "you can add color label to each folder, but why would I????? if this isn't the intention of this new feature then why would Adobe add it???

Yes, I have imported pictures from the other folders - to different catalogs

and yes, I am expanding the folder tree - I can see everything fine is explorer, but lightroom is a different world - it only lets me see ONE folder

• 4. Re: Adding color labels to folders

to different catalogs

Ah ha. This explains your confusion.

One catalog does not see what is in another catalog. You will only see the images you have imported into this catalog, and that is 132 photos in total. Your screen-clip indicates you do not have other photos imported to THIS catalog.

One very good reason to only ever use ONE catalog for ALL your photos. (there will be exceptions- eg. professionals, private, etc)

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/one-or-multiple-catalogs/

The Folders panel in Lightroom is not a 'Browser'. It does NOT show you all the folders on your hard-drive. It only shows folders that have photos you have imported (made a 'reference' to) WITH THE OPEN Catalog you are viewing.

The Color Labels exist only in Lightroom. They are not added to, or shown on the folders in a File browser like File Explorer or Finder. And they will only be as you applied them in the catalog you are currently viewing.

• 5. Re: Adding color labels to folders
                  dgoc571 Level 1

Crap - any idea how many photos I have??

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Edit: quoted message removed by Forum Moderator

• 6. Re: Adding color labels to folders

any idea how many photos I have??

Sorry, I do not have a crystal ball, nor am I psychic.  Just another Lightroom user with an interest in helping, if I can.

https://lightroomkillertips.com/many-images-can-one-lightroom-catalog-still-perform-well/

I think my answer adequately answers your question- "HOW do I view ALL folders?"

• 7. Re: Adding color labels to folders
                      cmgap Adobe Community Professional

Your screen shot shows that this catalog only has one folder with 152 images in it.

Quit Lightroom and do a search on .lrcat ... check to see if you have more than one catalog file, the date last opened etc. If this isn't the right catalog - that will explain why you only see one folder.