• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does PSE hang when I try to save?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Photoshop Elements 14 on a PC.

For some time now, I have been unable to save photos I am editing.  When I hit either "save" or "save as," the appropriate dialogue box comes up, I hit "save," and nothing happens.  The program just hangs.  File and other menus are faded out where I can't click on anything, and clicking on the x to close the program does nothing but create that little Windows error sound.  I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to close the program, and whatever I was working on doesn't save.  I have tried waiting in case the program is just laggy but to no avail.  This happens with both "save" and "save as" but not with "save for web."  It also happens whether I open Editor directly or open it from the Organizer.  In case the issue was with the external drive that houses my photos, I have experimented with opening a file saved to the Desktop and trying to re-save it to the Desktop (without editing anything), and still the problem persists.  I am at my wit's end.  I can use Organizer—heck, I can play around in Editor—but I can't save the edits.  This was not always the case, and I don't know what's changed. 

Today, in an effort to improve the program's speed, I installed the program on my laptop (boot drive), whereas previously it was running off of my external drive.  (See How do I move Photoshop from external drive? )  The catalog and all my photos are still saved to the external.  I have noticed improved speed, but that's neither here nor there.  The point is that I reinstalled the program (from the CD), yet this issue with saving persists.

I would very much appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been a lot of issues created by the latest Windows 10 /1803) update.

Error: An integer between 50 and 8 is required | Elements | Windows 10

If you have PSE14, PSE15 or PSE2018 and have updated recently, you may have this problem for saving files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to Edit > Preferences > Performance and did not get the listed error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, are there any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem on PSE 2018, where it'd sometimes hang completely upon saving. Unfortunately, I still couldn't find a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sparkspirit  wrote

I also have the same problem on PSE 2018, where it'd sometimes hang completely upon saving. Unfortunately, I still couldn't find a solution...

Did you edit the Registry as described step by step in the above link ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried. And it just froze a few minutes ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save as psd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It hangs when I press CTRL-S, didn't give me a chance to pick file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I found that I was able to save things as psd files even if I couldn't save them as standard/other file types. After I applied this fix, I am also able to save things as tifs. For some reason, jpeg and other file types are still off-limits, but being able to save things as psds or tifs should more than cover me. If I specifically need a jpeg for some reason I can run it through a converter.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines